Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi crashes and halts the system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have Xubuntu 14.10 running on a MinnowBoard Max and Gotham worked like a charm on it. Just upgraded to Kodi RC3 and *BAM* after some time everything just stopped. Even the board just turned off immediately!
I have tried it a couple of times and no matter what I did, it just randomly happens and happens again.

My findings so far:
- I installed from the ppa:team-xbmc/unstable launchpad repository
- it turns off after a couple of minutes
- not linked to anything what I just did in Kodi, it happens while configuring, watching movies, scanning library
- since it halts software and hardware, nothing to be found in the log files
- I also gave it a fresh start by removing the .kodi directory - still the same
- it crashes when running directly from Xubuntu session and also when using the init script from the forum

Anyone around able to help? I just don't know where to start digging into this... to me it seems to be some strange behaviour of Kodi since Gotham worked fine.

Thanks
macmeck
Okay all, mystery solved! Kodi brought the power supply of the board down to its knees. I tried another one, seems to work fine now.

Obviously Kodi stresses the hardware so much more than Gotham did (or anything else I ran on the board) that the power supply couldn't cope the consumption.

Best Regards
macmeck
(2014-12-22, 15:20)macmeck Wrote: [ -> ]Okay all, mystery solved! Kodi brought the power supply of the board down to its knees. I tried another one, seems to work fine now.

Obviously Kodi stresses the hardware so much more than Gotham did (or anything else I ran on the board) that the power supply couldn't cope the consumption.

Best Regards
macmeck

kodi helix doesn't use more cpu or gpu then gotham did. Any proof for that claim?
Well, no real proof, only my observation. With Kodi Helix running, my current power supply seems to be too weak to keep my hardware running. With XBMC Gotham it worked fine in the exact same setup. So my assumption is that more power is being consumed now.