Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Zotac ZBOX BI320 *Opinion please* Too good to be true?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
For others interested another option that I am using is an Intel Nuc DN2820FYKY for about $140 and I added an old laptop hard drive and bought 4gb of memory. I have been very pleased and works great with Kodi. It comes with built in wifi and an infrared sensor which works great with my remote controls.
(2015-02-10, 18:23)tmmoore800 Wrote: [ -> ]For others interested another option that I am using is an Intel Nuc DN2820FYKY for about $140 and I added an old laptop hard drive and bought 4gb of memory. I have been very pleased and works great with Kodi. It comes with built in wifi and an infrared sensor which works great with my remote controls.

Thats what my son uses in his room, But with a SSD instead. Only downside is he uses win 8.1.
For anyone wondering if 1.5v memory will work with this box, the answer is yes. The memory it comes with is the 1600mHz low voltage 1.35v but this morning I put in 2x2GB 1333mHz 1.5v sticks I had laying around and it worked with no problem. I didn't have to change any settings in BIOS. The default memory voltage setting in BIOS is set to Auto so it was just a matter of taking the stick it comes with out and put the two new sticks in.
(2015-02-10, 11:23)viperlogic Wrote: [ -> ]zbox arrived yesterday, threw in a 120GB SSD and 4GB ram, installed win8.1 and then the drivers and bios update from zotac website. All done very fast and effortless.

Next I added my Edimax 7811Un nano wireless adapter (RTL8192cu chip) which windows picked up and installed. Connected to my network and then proceeded to speedtest.net in which I can only get approx 3Mbps. Hmmm, should be faster than that.
- Installed latest driver from Edimax site, still ~3Mbps
- Tried with a USB extension lead in case for any reason there was interference close to the box, still ~3Mbps
- Tried in my windows 7 laptop, ~15Mbps+
- Tried in my windows 7 laptop with extension lead, ~15Mbps+

Anyone else having similar issues?

Unless there are no other suggestions I will install windows7 on the zbox tonight and also try the Edimax on a friends win8 box. Process of elimination!

Update:
- Full speed on friends win8 box.
- Will also play-around forcing N on router just in case its going down to b or g etc

Tried N only, tried 40Mhz, tried different channels, tried diff drivers but no luck.

Gave in and picked up a TP-Link TL-WDN3200 in local store for €18 and it works perfect, getting around 40Mbps now on 2.4Ghz so happy out. Now to download ALL those dam windows updates!

I will revisit getting the Edimax to work at a later date as don't like being defeated
I just ordered one of these to replace my aging ATV2. I did the barebones version with a 120GB SSD and 4GB ram. My thought was I could load Windows7 on the box with Kodi which would also allow me to bounce out to win7 if I need to access Watch ESPN or Dish's Sling TV. Is this a reasonable thought or is windows going to suck up to many resources? I'm not against just loading OpenElec on it but I'd love to have a few more options with the machine.
If you are using it for other things other than Kodi, then it makes sense to install Windows or Linux.
(2015-02-11, 04:11)browneye253 Wrote: [ -> ]I just ordered one of these to replace my aging ATV2. I did the barebones version with a 120GB SSD and 4GB ram. My thought was I could load Windows7 on the box with Kodi which would also allow me to bounce out to win7 if I need to access Watch ESPN or Dish's Sling TV. Is this a reasonable thought or is windows going to suck up to many resources? I'm not against just loading OpenElec on it but I'd love to have a few more options with the machine.

Dual boot a possibility?
(2015-02-11, 16:02)flhthemi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-11, 04:11)browneye253 Wrote: [ -> ]I just ordered one of these to replace my aging ATV2. I did the barebones version with a 120GB SSD and 4GB ram. My thought was I could load Windows7 on the box with Kodi which would also allow me to bounce out to win7 if I need to access Watch ESPN or Dish's Sling TV. Is this a reasonable thought or is windows going to suck up to many resources? I'm not against just loading OpenElec on it but I'd love to have a few more options with the machine.

Dual boot a possibility?

Thought of that but I'm not sure I'd get the wife approval I need.
(2015-02-11, 08:29)z31fanatic Wrote: [ -> ]If you are using it for other things other than Kodi, then it makes sense to install Windows or Linux.

I've only used Kodi on windows a couple of times. Are there any drawbacks to it other than the resource hogging.

I've actually got two of these on the way so I think I'll set one up on windows and the other with openelec and try them out.
I see newegg have an "open box" deal on the W2 model at the moment for $140.

Be quick!
(2015-02-12, 11:40)Chris P Bacon Wrote: [ -> ]I see newegg have an "open box" deal on the W2 model at the moment for $140.

Be quick!
Newegg's open box policy has always scared me away from buying anything open box from them.

"Newegg only guarantees your receipt of the Open Box product with the purchase of this item. Any accessories MAY OR MAY NOT be included. Newegg will NOT send you any missing accessories, even if it is required to use all of the item's functions."

So, you might not get the power cord, the stand, or the CDs.
Hi, I just order one of these from newegg Zotac ZBOX-BI320-U. Will these video options work for kodi with this ZBOX-BI320-U?

Render Method: DXVA-HD

Decoding Method: Hardware Accelerated

Enable HQ scalers for scaling above %0

Also what is the power consumption on this box on idle and on load?
Picked up a couple from newegg. I'll return them and keep the barebones ones if they don't have all the accessories.

Thanks for sharing the link.
It's back on sale for $140 at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...8045-S3A1B
(2015-02-17, 19:21)z31fanatic Wrote: [ -> ]It's back on sale for $140 at Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...8045-S3A1B
Thanks for posting that. I couldn't stop myself. I had to buy another. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24