Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: UPNP : large file size (not bit rate) makes playback very slow ??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
somehow it seems that the quality of video playback is not dependent on bit rate (all my videos are encoded at 2000bits/s bit rate ), the smaller files (700MB) play fine, without any stops. but when I play the larger files, they constantly go into buffering (about every 2 seconds, pausing for about 10 seconds ).

I cut out the first 10 minutes of my big video (the total video is 4.4GB, 100minutes, I cut off the first 10min, about 500MB), then play it. it plays very bsmooth. this has been tested and reproduced very consistently.

I checked all the factors: disk is fairly fast, writing/reading speed when plugging this usb to a computer, is about 35MB/sec , way over the 2000bits/sec bandwidth needed for the video. network bandwidth capacity is about 2.5MB/sec, I used several client apps, they show the same behavior, so it's not that the clients are busy.

this looks to be a general problem to many DLNA/uPNP servers , I tried xbmc, b rygel, mediatomb, minidlna, and pogoplug, clients used were vlc, bubbleupnp etc.

so how is this possible? is there a fix? (of course a workaround is to cut my files into sections, but that's too cumbersome)

Thanks
*shrug*

I've used XBMC as a UPnP server for much larger video files, and they've always worked in those same kinds of conditions.
bump up
You really didn't describe your setup so its hard to tell.

Possibly some type of network or file share related problem with large file transfers? This can occasionally happen if the client and sever or share host are for some reason incompatible (like a linux client not quite properly configured to talk to a windows share). If using SMB shares to host the media, try NFS, etc.
Are you having this issue with any files other than the ones you've encoded yourself?