Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Headless Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Hey, long time lurker here. I've spent a good part of my weekend attempting to have Kodi Headless set up, trying both the linuxserver.io and celedhrim's docker images.
Both have the same issue for me, in that they can't find my network shares from what's populated in my Mysql database.
All the paths are 'smb://SERVERNAME/share/Movies' or 'smb://SERVERNAME/share/TV' etc. Single server name, not FQDN or IP address. This hasn't been an issue on Windows, nor the GUI version of Kodi on the same Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install. Using the same advancedsettings and sources files, both docker images fail with being unable to find that directory.

I've been researching how to fix it, and can either update this to an IP address, or a longer format including a username:password field? (IE, this post: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2021461 ) Or some good information in this page to check as well: (https://lime-technology.com/forum/index....=37297.150).

Whilst I can do that, and will try it and stick with it if it works, I'd really like to understand why the docker version's can't connect to my SMB shares, but the native Ubuntu Kodi can. Hence I started to set up the same headless version outside of the docker container...

(2016-04-25, 14:44)celedhrim Wrote: [ -> ]https://github.com/Celedhrim/docker-kodi-server

Master & jarvis branch update to 16.1

I don't know if it would be better to create a specific thread for docker kodi ( supplementary tool / developpement ?).
Now we talk docker kodi server in middle of other thread about headless and not docker specific .

IMHO, it'd make a lot of sense. I haven't used headless Kodi since Helix. Tried again on the weekend and have spent hours running into issues with the docker images not finding SMB shares (Hence the above). Started to reverse the docker images to do it natively on Ubuntu, only to find 95% of the information on Headless Kodi is docker specific. Most of it's been useful for troubleshooting, but it's definitely fragmented this thread.
(2016-04-25, 21:44)bodiroga Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know what is happening here? It seems that the "ping" command is not installed by default in Ubuntu and that it can be installed using "apt-get install inetutils-tools inetutils-ping". As Kodi seems to use the ping command after executing a WakeOnLan command to ensure that the remote machine is awake, could you add the "ping" command to your docker container?

Hum I haven't such message.

Maybe you have an option concerning wake online enable in your kodi profile ?
(2016-04-26, 06:04)FatBoyNotSoSlim Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, long time lurker here. I've spent a good part of my weekend attempting to have Kodi Headless set up, trying both the linuxserver.io and celedhrim's docker images.
Both have the same issue for me, in that they can't find my network shares from what's populated in my Mysql database.
All the paths are 'smb://SERVERNAME/share/Movies' or 'smb://SERVERNAME/share/TV' etc. Single server name, not FQDN or IP address. This hasn't been an issue on Windows, nor the GUI version of Kodi on the same Ubuntu 14.04 LTS install. Using the same advancedsettings and sources files, both docker images fail with being unable to find that directory.

Kodi in my docker image has smb enable, so the issue is elsewhere.

YOu can enter the container to do some test , install some package etc ...

Code:
~$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE               COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS               NAMES
5d8e2020ee80        febaf9d95b44        "/opt/kodi-server/lib"   9 days ago          Up 4 days                               hungry_mccarthy

~$ docker exec -t -i 5d8e2020ee80 /bin/bash

Once inside container you can do what you want , like a normal ubuntu , install package , etc ...

Maybe this will help you to find the issue . (IMHO resolv or network)
(2016-04-26, 09:56)celedhrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-25, 21:44)bodiroga Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know what is happening here? It seems that the "ping" command is not installed by default in Ubuntu and that it can be installed using "apt-get install inetutils-tools inetutils-ping". As Kodi seems to use the ping command after executing a WakeOnLan command to ensure that the remote machine is awake, could you add the "ping" command to your docker container?

Hum I haven't such message.

Maybe you have an option concerning wake online enable in your kodi profile ?

Yeah, sure, I have been searching what option I did enable, but I haven't found anything, so you are right, it is something related to my installation. Perhaps it is related to the fact that the MySQL server is on my 192.168.1.100 machine while my SMB shares are on the 192.168.1.2 machine.

Anyway, shouldn't the container be able to handle a simple WOL command? It's just a matter of installing the "iputils-ping" package through "apt-get install iputils-ping", but it is up to you, don't worry, everything is working fine for me after the apt-get command Wink

Many thanks for your work and help celedhrim!
Ping command just added to jarvis and master branch.

Image are currently building on docker hub
(2016-04-27, 09:41)celedhrim Wrote: [ -> ]Ping command just added to jarvis and master branch.

Image are currently building on docker hub

Ping command working fine here, thanks for adding it celedhrim! Angel
(2016-04-26, 10:06)celedhrim Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-26, 06:04)FatBoyNotSoSlim Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, long time lurker here. I've spent a good part of my weekend attempting to have Kodi Headless set up, trying both the linuxserver.io and celedhrim's docker images.

Kodi in my docker image has smb enable, so the issue is elsewhere.

YOu can enter the container to do some test , install some package etc ...

Code:
~$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE               COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS               NAMES
5d8e2020ee80        febaf9d95b44        "/opt/kodi-server/lib"   9 days ago          Up 4 days                               hungry_mccarthy

~$ docker exec -t -i 5d8e2020ee80 /bin/bash

Once inside container you can do what you want , like a normal ubuntu , install package , etc ...

Maybe this will help you to find the issue . (IMHO resolv or network)

Thanks for the information.

No doubt it's my set up that's the issue, seems like nothing I do can get linux versions of kodi to work with my SMB paths as they are. I've tried converting them into IP addresses (new database server, and new source files to the IP address) however the headless kodi still fails to find them. Next up is blaming my file server (Freenas serving up the files via CIFS) and permissions or passwords on accounts until I can finally get this working.
Good day,

First thing... I'm totally new in linux, so please be nice.

@celedhrim

Can I follow the script in dockerfile in your master branch to install Kodi Headless in a linux server without Docker?

The reason is that I have a old notebook that i can not install docker.

Thanks.
Why you can't install docker ?

It's very light.

But yes you can follow the docker file to reproduice step to build , it's like a cookbook.
Thanks, celedhrim.

I can not install Docker because the old notebook that I'm talking about is a 32 bits and with only 1GB in memory. The requeriments for Docker is 64 bits.

I'm going to try to install Kodi Headless with your script.

AdiĆ³s.
I tried to compile kodi by using the patch from the docker file, and the scripts in the docker file.
I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS.

Eventually I get
Code:
configure: == Could not find libgif. libgif support disabled. ==
configure: == udev support disabled. Will use polling to check for device changes. ==
configure: == libusb disabled. Plug and play USB device support will not be available. ==
configure: == libcec disabled. CEC adapter support will not be available. ==
configure: == Capabilities detection support disabled. ==
checking for FFMPEG... no
configure: error: "ffmpeg not found"

I did install ffmpeg from a PPA, but that doesn't make any difference apparently.
The funny thing is that I did compile the headless kodi for Isengard on the same VM, and FFMPEG apparently wasn't an issue.

Any clues?
@celedhrim been using your headless docker for a while now, been working great, thank you!

Have been using the 16.0 version, decided to update to 16.1, just to keep things current and seem to be having problems with samba shares, not really sure whats going on.

16.0 can access all shares, 16.1 seems to have problems with a lot of them.

I can go between the 2 images (both from docker hub and self compiled) and get the same results each and every time (restoring from backups prior to each scan so the data set is consistent)

Update:

Think I found my issue, 16.0 image uses ubuntu 14.04 with libsmbclient 4.1.6, and the 16.1 uses 16.04 with libsmbclient 4.3.8. That update was for security fixes which I think may have caused some issues, doing some searches seems like its or was a very common issue. Hope this helps anyone running into it. Currently searching for resolutions.
Don't know if this has been mention but just install openelec set it all up with a monitor etc then copy the attached to the /storage/.config folder. You need to select show hidden files from in settings. Then you can reboot without a monitor and it will boot straight up. If this has already been suggested my apologies.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16jcJ...nE3VW9paEE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16jcJ...FJIVUdERzA
(2016-06-06, 03:43)tomsenior9999 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't know if this has been mention but just install openelec set it all up with a monitor etc then copy the attached to the /storage/.config folder. You need to select show hidden files from in settings. Then you can reboot without a monitor and it will boot straight up. If this has already been suggested my apologies.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16jcJ...nE3VW9paEE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B16jcJ...FJIVUdERzA

Really that simple? Is this a thing that is likely to break with updates? Also, it doesn't appear to be anything OE specific that would prevent it working on LibreElec. Am I right about that?
Yes I've been using OpenELEC as my tvheadend server for years
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32