Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is there a way to automatically scale video to fullscreen (no black bars)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there a way to automatically scale video to fullscreen (no black bars)?

Right now, I'm just changing the zoom amount to 1.33 but that scales every video by 1.33, so videos that are 16:9 (ie, already fill up a flat screen TV image area) get unnecessarily zoomed.

Is there a way to just scale the videos automatically to eliminate the top and bottom black bars?
View mode "Stretch 16x9" should do it. And isn't zooming in cropping off the left and right sides?
(2014-12-23, 09:38)Sunflux Wrote: [ -> ]View mode "Stretch 16x9" should do it. And isn't zooming in cropping off the left and right sides?

Thanks! I'll try that.

Yes, but it's okay for me. You don't really miss any content because most films are directed to have the content in the "safe zone."

I just don't like having black bars.

UPDATE:

Okay, I tried that mode and it stretches the picture vertically. I'm trying to scale the whole picture proportionally so it fills up the whole screen no matter what the original size is.
I found it, ZOOM mode is the one I want.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback

It's not updated but I tested all of them and ZOOM seems to do the trick.

UPDATE:

Nevermind, ZOOM doesn't work either. Tested it on Captain America Winter Soldier and it won't zoom out the black bars. But ZOOM mode did work on LOTR?

I think the VIEW MODE feature itself might be broken? Here's how I tested it.

1. Set a custom zoom amount, the picture scales as expected by that amount.
2. Cycle through the different VIEW MODEs, we should see the picture scale correspondingly with each mode, but it doesn't. Even when it goes to the custom mode, it doesn't scale to the custom mode we set.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I'm running Gotham 13.2 on the AFTV using the software renderer.

It seems like ZOOM view mode only works if the video has never been played before. But, if it has been played previously, then applying the ZOOM view mode has no effect?
Your captain America may have it's letter boxing hard coded in. A 2.35:1 wide screen film om bluray has hard coded letterboxing. That is, the black bars are rendered as part of the video. Usually when these blurays are converted, the black bars are cropped out, resulting in a video that is say. 1920x780 instead of 1920x1080, because 300 rows of pixels were just black video anyway. When Kodi plays these files, it just fills in the unused area with black and it can easily use stretch 16:9 to make it fill the top and bottom like you've seen. If the letter boxing is NOT cropped out and your video does have those 300 rows of pixels remain... You'll have to zoom manually. Kodi only see's the 1920x1080 video, it has NO idea that 300 rows of pixels are just wasted black space, it can't tell it from a standard 16:9 TV show or anything.
Live with the "black bars". You are losing a lot by distorting the video to conform to the standard TV size you have. Films are not shot to have a "safe zone". They are composed to utilize the framing as intended by the director. If you zoom a 2.35:1 film to "fill" your screen you are going against the director's vision (otherwise they'd have shot in 16:9) and just making your HDTV look like crap.

Would you chop off half of a painting just to get it to "fit" into the frame you have?
There is an option to remove black bars when detected, but the detection doesn't always work. No one fixed it yet, and it might not be something that is fixable on all platforms, but I'm honestly not sure.