Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Status of VC1 on Intel NUC hardware?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi folks,

I bought a Celeron-based Intel NUC (DN2820FYKH) and threw OpenELEC on it a few weeks back, and everything was great until I got to some raw Bluray rips that are in VC1 format. The problem, for those who don't know, is repeated dropped frames and stuttering/jerky playback that perceptibly slows down and speeds up before your eyes. Video in other formats works fine.

So of course I started Googling for a fix. It seems the problem was first noticed a year ago. Some threads, like this one, suggest that it is/was a problem in ffmpeg that has now been fixed.

It's been almost a year since the above thread and I've tested with OpenELEC's latest RC, released two days ago, with ffmpeg 2.4.2, and the problem remains.

So what is the status of this problem? How can so many people be using this device if it can't handle VC1 playback?

If this is something that just can't be fixed, then I guess I have to sell the NUC and get something else.
Hi.

Video -> Acceleration -> (Expert Settings), turn on VC-1

VC1 is flawless and working fine, it is only disabled cause of it was segfaulting in the past with "VC-! interlaced" content.
fritsch, I'm at work at the moment and can't tell you exactly what's on that config page. However, I can tell you I've tried every combination of expert acceleration settings, and nothing ever changed. I also do not have a setting that explicitly mentions VC-1. Just settings to choose hardware or software decoding, to enable VAAPI, and to enable some other V---- acronym for hardware decoding for NVidia.

I tested with the latest OpenELEC RC because an all-in-one is the fastest thing to download and get booted to test. Is this a setting they could be hiding in their build for simplicity?
Have you enabled Expert settings? MPEG2, H264 and VC-1 are all separately selectable VAAPI options - though only in the Linux version. Windows is different as it uses DXVA not VAAPI.
Ouh! he uses Windows.

Sorry, did not think that someone would do that :-)
Um, no, I'm not using Windows. I am using OpenELEC. OpenELEC is Linux-based. I'm not sure where the idea that I'm using Windows has come from.

I do not have any separate MPEG2/H264/VC1 acceleration options under VAAPI, just a single toggle for VAAPI.
(2014-12-23, 21:08)IntelNUCUser Wrote: [ -> ]Um, no, I'm not using Windows. I am using OpenELEC. OpenELEC is Linux-based. I'm not sure where the idea that I'm using Windows has come from.

I do not have any separate MPEG2/H264/VC1 acceleration options under VAAPI, just a single toggle for VAAPI.

Which version of OpenElec? I've got the options on a very recent VAAPI build with the Intel GPU hang bug fix.
(2014-12-23, 21:28)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Which version of OpenElec? I've got the options on a very recent VAAPI build with the Intel GPU hang bug fix.

The box started with an install of 4.2.1, then last night an updated to 4.97.3 RC3. The options available to me didn't change.

From memory I can tell you there are two options, "Allow hardware acceleration (VDPAU)", "Allow hardware acceleration (VAAPI)", selecting the first enables another option that I think is "Prefer VAAPI" or similar. Selecting allow VAAPI doesn't show any separate items for MPEG2/H264/VC1.

I'm kinda stuck until I can get home to the box (it's nice to get paid to troubleshoot movie watching). #OpenELEC IRCers are telling me options definitely should be there, and I'm pretty damn sure from two days of looking at it that they're not.
(2014-12-23, 22:01)IntelNUCUser Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-12-23, 21:28)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Which version of OpenElec? I've got the options on a very recent VAAPI build with the Intel GPU hang bug fix.

The box started with an install of 4.2.1, then last night an updated to 4.97.3 RC3. The options available to me didn't change.

From memory I can tell you there are two options, "Allow hardware acceleration (VDPAU)", "Allow hardware acceleration (VAAPI)", selecting the first enables another option that I think is "Prefer VAAPI" or similar. Selecting allow VAAPI doesn't show any separate items for MPEG2/H264/VC1.

I'm kinda stuck until I can get home to the box (it's nice to get paid to troubleshoot movie watching). #OpenELEC IRCers are telling me options definitely should be there, and I'm pretty damn sure from two days of looking at it that they're not.

change the settings level on the left side from standard to expert, as previously recommended
Today I learned that there are 4 settings levels (Basic, Standard, Advanced, Expert) and not 2 (Standard, Advanced) as I thought at the start of this thread. :-|

It's there, under expert. I'm so embarrassed!
Yeah, thank you very much for reporting back! That's highly appreciated. Most others would have run away ;-)

For others, that read this: VC-1 Interlaced content will produce black screen on recent drivers and a full segfault on old drivers. Which is the reason it's off by default. But I think to change it.
(2014-12-24, 00:19)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]For others, that read this: VC-1 Interlaced content will produce black screen on recent drivers and a full segfault on old drivers. Which is the reason it's off by default. But I think to change it.

Any plans to add VC-1 interlaced support?

Intel has a document explaining how it should work here:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pub...erlace.pdf
The intel vaapi driver does not support it, yet. We asked them to implement the above spec in their driver, but they just removed the segfault and output black surfaces :-)

If you find time, I think they are happy about patches.
WTF. They seem to ship it via: EMGD package whatever that is. It seems this is not for public, but for some other customers?
(2014-12-25, 21:30)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]WTF. They seem to ship it via: EMGD package whatever that is. It seems this is not for public, but for some other customers?
Hi fritsch,

I took a stab at implementing interlaced VC1 last summer, but got stuck with driver crashes and didn't know how to debug.

The interlaced VC1 VA driver patch in the EMGD package looks like it has the same pieces that I could figure out based on the docs, and the ones I missed. Looks quite promising.
Pages: 1 2 3