Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multiple issues with Android Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was hoping that Kodi fixed an issue that I had with XBMC on my Nexus 7 (2013) but the issues I was hoping was gone is still there and more annoyances have been introduced.

My setup is that I have a Qnap NAS that holds my library and a mysql database I share between my tablet and htpc. My HTPC works great even though it currently uses a slower wireless connection until I can drop a gigabit Ethernet run to it. I just upgraded all my devices to Kodi once the stable version was released.

First issue I have is that when watching HD movies, I get random pauses. Sometimes it has to re-buffer, and other times it just stops playing and goes back to the library list view. Highly annoying. If I use my file explorer (x-plore) and play the movie directly using MX Player, I get none of these issues. This is an issue I've had on XBMC as well.

The first new issue I found is trying to use the "Filter" function. On XBMC, clicking this would result in a few seconds pause before the menu comes up. On Kodi, it takes nearer to 20-30seconds and Kodi is pretty much locked up until it completes. Annoying when I watch a movie on my HTPC, stop it, then switch to my tablet to finish watching and I want to use the filter to find the "in progress" movie. I don't know if this is an issue because I'm using an external database or what, but highly annoying.

The last issue I've found is it always gives an error on close (Unfortunately, Kodi has stopped). While trying to see if there might have been an issue with my ROM, I upgraded it to Android 5.0.1 Lollipop and that's when this issue started up.

I've already tried clearing the cache and wiping the apps data, but that didn't solve the issues.

Any help would be appreciated.
The second issue is most likely related to MySQL slowing things down, I would guess.

Can you post debug logs (wiki) for these various issues?
(2014-12-24, 22:07)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]The second issue is most likely related to MySQL slowing things down, I would guess.

I'll try to run a log the next time I watch something in HD. Probably tonight.

But my concern is that the second issue wasn't nearly as bad with XBMC and it was using the same database setup. I'll also try and build a local database and see if there is a difference.
Ok, little update.

I switched from an external database to a local database on my tablet and the problem is still there when clicking "Filter". So the database being local or remote appears to make no difference at all.

I also checked this out on my HTPC and it too has an extremely long delay when bringing up the filter menu.

However, when I'm looking under my Shows, the filter menu is near instantaneous. So maybe this is a problem with Kodi handling large movie libraries? I have around 850 movies that are a mix of HD and SD content.

I also didn't care for Android 5 all that much, so I went back to Cyanogenmod 11 (Android 4.4). This has stopped the issue I was having with the message about kodi closing. I might try another rom at some point but gonna wait till 5.0.3 is out since it's supposed to fix some memory leak issues.

Still trying to debug it when the video just stops playing. I was watching some episodes and it happened again, but after I went in and turned on logging, it hasn't happened since. I'll try again with some HD content cause it seems to happen more with that.
(2014-12-24, 22:07)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]The second issue is most likely related to MySQL slowing things down, I would guess.

I am having the same issue as the OP, with regards to the closing error. I'm running android 5.0.1.

Providing a log via dropbox, since I can't seem to attach files to posts. Not sure what's going on, but the OP said he was ferrying the message only on lollipop. Me, too!
Hmm, I'm honestly not sure, but I'm not a dev, so I could be missing something obvious.
Subscribing to this thread as I've been getting random pauses/dropouts streaming music to my Android tablet.

While I'm debugging, for anyone else's thoughts *IF* it's related, I removed the shared mysql remote database (no difference), switched protocol from NFS to SMB (vastly improved but not eliminated) - wifi signal is steady and very strong (c. -55dBm) - other apps (e.g. BubbleUPnP, TuneIn Radio) stream without issue. Next is to look at UPnP library sharing (should be the slowest/worst of all), revert to 13.2 from 14.1, and re-flash to a different ROM.