Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Do you compress your bluray rips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
So I have probably 100+ bluray movies I am planning to rip to my computer. I've ripped a couple and they are around 20-30 gigs. So the point of the thread, do you try and reduce the size of the file to have room for more movies or leave it alone? I might test a couple movies to see if I notice any loss in video quality. I would like to be able to have as close to bluray quality in my movies since I did buy them for the better quality over dvd.
Yup. And there are a lot of threads here already about it. You can search those up or use Google for a few guides. It's a lot of reading but in my opinion worth it. Also h.265 might be worth a look now.
I compressed all my blurays to about 40% of the original size. Now most of my rips are 8-12 GB. I can't tell the difference from the original rip but I don't have a high end TV either.
Calev what uses h.265? Looked it up on google and it looks interesting.
No. Hard drive prices are pretty reasonable now and to some of us its a waste of time..
No. DVDs and Blu-rays remain uncompressed. Storage is cheap enough, and I like the quality of the originals. I buy discs precisely to get the best AV quality I can. Don't see the point in reducing it unless I absolutely have to.

(I got burned when I ripped my entire CD collection as 192k MP3 when I first got an iPod in the early 00s. Then re-ripped it all again as lossless in the late 00s when I realised 192k MP3 wasn't that great... If you keep the lossless rips you can convert in the future without re-ripping. Which is what I do for audio and video these days. If I'm going on a plane journey I may convert a lossless DVD or Blu-ray rip to an iPad friendly H264+AAC mp4 for instance.)
A 2TB disk cost me $200 and a BD's take on average 20GB of space so that works out at $2 per movie, or if i re-encode its $1 a movie at the 1/2 size which is simply not worth the effort for me.
So as mentioned already, storage is reletively cheap and getting cheaper so it's not worth the effort to re-encode your BD rips even if it does provide the same video quality as the original.

I simply wish the BD disk producers provided proper BD encodes that focused on Picture Quality in the first instance as some films are rather poorly encoded or the director is arty and wants a shit look to the movie...
Having a better PQ must result in better upscaled PQ once we all move to UHD displays but i suspect the cabal simply want to sell me the same movies in UHD yet again...
I won't get on that treadmill again...
the only thing i do is REMUX them,
rip out all the audio tracks, subs, menu and extra's i don't watch or use anyway.
and leave the video and my prefered audio track untouched for best quality
this way a Blu-Ray with only the main Movie and untouched bitstream HD audio track and the sub i want i can narrow down a Blu-Ray from 50 GB between 17-30 GB
So I finally sat down and counted all the blurays I needed to rip and it's around 120. Most of them I'll just rip the main movie and best audio I want. There might be a few I want to download the extras. But I think a 6TB HD should last me for awhile.
(2014-12-27, 10:48)skylarking Wrote: [ -> ]A 2TB disk cost me $200

What the? 3TB is easy to find around $90 and I've been picking up 4TB for around $135 recently
What kind of disc do you get that costs that little? I found a 4TB for about $160 from WD but I'm looking to get maybe a 6TB to hold everything I have now with a little room to grow. That way I can save up money for a bunch of hard drives to build a big NAS or what ever to hold my movies.
Buy only WD Red...
everything else will cost more in the end.. Smile
That's the exact type I was looking at.
So I decided to try one movie with handbrake using H.265 and its gone from 16.8gb to right now at 60% compressed only 2gb. I'll do a test and see if sound or video quality are affected. If things aren't noticable then I might just keep doing that. Even though compressing a movie with handbrake takes FOREVER.
Yeah H.265 takes alot longer than h.264.. People on here are fanatics about quality. Most blurays that are over 30 and sometimes over 40 gigs are only that size because the disc are 50 gigs. Honestly if I have a bluray rip thats 16 gigs I don't run it through handbrake. I'ts probably already compressed to a good level. But for 40 gig movies with zero grain you can reduce that by two third in handbrake and usually not notice a difference, and thats with H.264 I can't imagine how small you could get "superbad" for example with H.265.
Edit. had two thirds as one third.
(2014-12-28, 19:24)Tatts4Life Wrote: [ -> ]That's the exact type I was looking at.
So I decided to try one movie with handbrake using H.265 and its gone from 16.8gb to right now at 60% compressed only 2gb. I'll do a test and see if sound or video quality are affected. If things aren't noticable then I might just keep doing that. Even though compressing a movie with handbrake takes FOREVER.

Size will also vary depending iff you keep the original audio or down mix to stereo.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6