Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: kodi 14.0 installation problem on Mac OSX 10.9.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just downloaded Kodi 14.0 Helix (64 bit), tried to install it on my Macbook pro (OSX 10.9.4), but when I launch the application it does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas? I very much appreciate any suggestions offered.

Problem Description
================

No error messages are produced. It brings up a blue-ish distorted screen with a star button and what looks like a power button. No menus are visible It appears as though the application's display is rendering improperly, however the application is also completely unresponsive. When I click either of the buttons there is no response. I try to scroll to get more of the app visible and with no success.

I try to switch to other applications and there are some difficulties in doing this and when I do successfully switch to another application the screen is enlarged. I have to force quit the Kodi application in order to return my system to a normal state.

I do not have an external monitor attached to the Macbook.
I have tried rebooting and launching Kodi with no other applications running
I use many applications on this system and am not having any other problems.

System Details
============

I read the "How to Post" FAQ" and did my best to provide the required information.

OSX Version: 10.9.4
Platform: Macbook
Install Method: DMG
SVN Revision: I can't get this sine the application doesn't properly launch

Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem: install the application and click on it in the applications folder

FULL Debug Log (Please use your favorite paste site! See below.): I checked the log file locations described in the "How to post" FAQ and find no log files. I suspect this is because the application launch doesn't get far enough to generate any.

System hardware specs: 2.6Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM
Try hitting "escape" on your keyboard when this happens. You might need to hit it a few times. If the menu comes back then that means the skin is trying to start up on a window that doesn't exist anymore, like one of the old PVR windows.
Did you have XBMC on your Mac before the Kodi upgrade ?

If so do this...
OSX Finder > Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Application Support/

Rename the Kodi folder, then restart the Kodi app again. It will run like a first time install and eliminate any startup Skin and Add-on errors. You will have to re-configure everything again.

Smile
Ned Scott & wrxtasy,

Thank you very much for your replies.

After launching Kodi, I tried pressing escape and there was no change.

I did not ever have XBMC installed on this macbook. This is my first time installing Kodi.

Do you have any other ideas?

I really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Long shot....

Go into that Application Folder previously mentioned if you find a Kodi folder in there delete it.
Then restart Kodi. It may just be an first startup Kodi- crash / corrupt issue.
Hello,

I have xbmc 13.2 loaded on my MAC Mini systems.
This version downloaded and installed just fine.

I just downloaded Kodi 14.0 Helix (64 bit), tried to install it on my 2012 Mac Mini (OSX 10.9.5), but when I launch the application it does not work.
I have tried to download the 14.0 version (helix) but every time I do and install the file will not load.
I get an error stating that the file is damaged and needs to be placed in the trash?
The system then removes the installed file.

I have downloaded 14.0 for Windows and it loaded just fine on my Win 7 system but I am a MAC/Linux person and wanted my MAC systems to be the up to date ones.
I have some files that show this but i could not attach them to this post?

MAC Mini Late 2012
Software: OS X 10.9.5
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Install Method: downloaded kodi-14.0-Helix-x86_64.dmg file

Nottus
Just confirming for both having problems:

Are you dragging the Kodi.app into the OSX Applications folder before starting up Kodi ?
I'm not sure about the other person but yes, I am installing the program like I install all programs, Download, Open, Drag icon for app to the applications folder, then open.
It is at that exact moment the file starts and I get the statement that the kodi.app file is damaged and needs to be placed in the trash.
This version (14.0) is the only program I have had this issue with.
The 13.2 installed just fine.
The file was downloaded from : mirror.overthewire.com.au which is where the kodi download link takes me. I have no control over that.
As I said I have 13.2 working on all other systems (except win7), I can't get a copy of 14.0 for Mac that does not state it is damaged.

Nottus
please try a different mirror from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/list.html
@marg5495 please try again to locate the kodi.log it is there for sure under ~/Library/Logs/kodi.log

also do you have a retina macbook? if so - try to change monitor settings in osx
@nottus: Have a look under your security settings if "allow apps downloaded from" is set to at least Mac App Store and identified developers
Memphiz and Dworn,

I got it!...
Thanks for the help.
The .app from xbmc.os6.org loaded fine.
And yes, I double checked the security setting to ensure they were ok prior to installing.

Again, Thanks Folks! Enjoy the Holidays...
Thanks to all for your suggestions! The problem is solved.

I do have a retina macbook and the solution was to change the monitor settings Memphiz suggested. I selected the "Best for Display" option. I'm not sure what I had it set to before, but I have two external monitors (which were not connected during this process) and maybe the display settings got modified when I hooked those up. I'll keep an eye on it and post back if I learn anything useful.

To answer a few questions:

1) My security settings were set to "Mac Store and identified developers"
2) I tried a different mirror site, same result.
3) I was dragging the Kodi.app into the OSX Applications folder before starting up Kodi, via a pop up window triggered after launching the .dmg file
4) I tried a restart of Kodi after deleted the folder OSX Finder > Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library/Application Support/kodi
5) I was able to find the log file. It was exactly where it was expected to be, I was just looking at some older instructions and was looking for xbmc.log instead of kodi.log.....my mistake...I should have thought to look for kodi.log since I installed the Kodi version of the app.
I have the same issue with Kodi 14.0 on an iMac running Mac OS X 10.9.4

I installed Kodi for the first time this morning and partly set it up and had it working fine. I'd not previously installed XMBC or Kodi on this machine but have had PLEX installed for many years.

After about an hour using it and of having it working well, I decided to uninstalled it from this machine and to install it on my MacBook Pro instead. However when I dug out my old MBP the battery was completely flat and it wouldn't boot even with the power connected. whilst I waited for it to charge enough to boot I decided to go back to playing some more with Kodi on the iMac so I attempted to reinstall it and record some notes on the process of installing and configuring it.

When the previous version from this morning was removed, Hazel had also cleaned up the ~/Library/Application Support files. Which I manually checked before installing. I no longer had a Kodi or an XMBC folder in the library and the trash was also empty. So it should have been a clean re-install

The Kodi.app file copied over to the application folder ok, but when I tried to run it I got the error mentioned below about the file being damaged. I've manually checked the ~/Library and there are no remnants of the previous install left. I've also tried downloading a new copy of the dmg, and also tried from an alternative mirror source. I've rebooted my system several times in the process and after reading this thread I've also played with my Display settings. Its a standard iMac not Retina but I do have dual monitors. I've tried it set it to mirror the displays and also best for display etc.

I have the security set to Mac App Store and identified developers and during this morning install I did allow the installation following the message saying it wasn't from an identified developer. Its not asked me again when I've tried to start Kodi. I just get the bouncing icon, for 10 seconds or so, followed by the message saying it a damaged file.

The console logs only show the following.

04/01/2015 13:50:25.859 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[187]: ([0x0-0x5a05a].org.xbmc.kodi[772]) Exited: Killed: 9

I've also just tired the download from xbmc.os6.org as nottus had tried that and been successful but on mine I still get the damaged file message.

I'm about to try repairing permissions which I haven't run in ages, but failing that does anyone have any other ideas on what else I can try ?

{edit}
Repairing disk permissions didn't fix it.

{edit 2} FIXED

I've just tried it with the security set to Allow apps downloaded from "Anywhere" and its now starting up ok. and returning the setting to "Mac App Store and identified developers" it still runs ok.
Yes I have had mine on "Mac App Store and identified developers" for several versions of OSX now.

Never had any issues with anything running on Yosemite after right clicking an .app and selecting - Open on its very first startup.

Maybe this should be added to the Wiki for XBMC / Kodi installation on OSX ?
Pages: 1 2