Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No AAC 5.1 Output
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I have the latest stable Kodi 14.0 installed on my M8 s802 android box. It plays dolby digital and dts movies fine, and also plays 2 channel files ok, but I cannot get surround sound from 5.1 AAC files such as tv episodes. I have quite an old receiver which is connected via optical (sony str-db930).

I researched online and people suggested changing the number of channels to 2.0 in the Audio output settings and then the 'Enable Dolby Digital transcoding' option becomes available and checking that. But I still get no sound output at all. The receiver shows Dolby Digital 2.0 and does not actually play anything.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks
Fire TV Kodi 14.0 here - Connected by HDMI to my Receiver
Enable Dolby Digital transcoding - does the trick for me - it outputs 5.1 and my fairly recent Sony receiver sees it as DD 5.1

Maybe something to do with optical ?
Thanks for the reply.

Problem is my reciever is pre HDMI Smile

Need a solution for optical ideally.
I have a similar issue with my old sony receiver hooked up via optical. I am using different hardware however (AFTV) so I dont know if it's the same root cause. Research into my issue has me believing that it's a bug with the AFTV and this specific model receiver as I can't get DD 5.1 to play even when streaming movies from Amazon. Not sure why DTS is fine. Haven't tried AAC 5.1.
I could only find one thread of someone asking a similar question for this device but their issue seemed to be resolved using the option to transcode:

http://www.freaktab.com/archive/index.php/t-13073.html