Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Jerky, unwatchable playback in Kodi 14.0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gotham 13.2 64bit was absolutely perfect on my 2011 Mac Mini 2.7 GHz i7 4 GB RAM running the latest version of Yosemite with all updates installed. It would play anything I threw at including 1080p BDMV BluRay rips. Everything was nothing short of perfect. And then I updated to Kodi 14.0.

Since updating to Kodi 14.0 64 or 32 bit, only the lowest bit rate avis in my collection will play properly. Everything else plays hesitantly and jerky and is unwatchable. It's not my machine, network, or NAS, because if I open the same files in XBMC 13.2, which thank God is still on my machine, everything plays perfectly like it always did. Checking RAM and CPU usage during jerky playback shows I've got tons of headroom in both catagories. Obviously, I can spend hours reverting back to Gotham, but I thought I'd try here to see if anyone has any idea what's going wrong.

While I've been a long time XBMC user, I've never gone under the hood and really have no clue where to even start troubleshooting this. All my settings migrated to 14.0 exactly as they were with 13.2. I can't find anything wrong other than my once terrific home theatre system is unwatchable.

Anyone got a quick fix?

JoeBlowinski
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when you play something back? My first guess would be some kind of audio issue, as the program will try to keep both audio and video in sync, and when audio gets weird then the video will "match" it (for a lack of better words).
You have a similar configuration to mine, and I have the same problem when refresh rate adjustment is enabled.

If you have it enabled, try turning it off and see if the problem goes away maybe.
(2014-12-30, 09:43)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when you play something back? My first guess would be some kind of audio issue, as the program will try to keep both audio and video in sync, and when audio gets weird then the video will "match" it (for a lack of better words).

Thanks Ned. I appreciate the help. Here's the url for the debug log:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=387453

I don't know if this is useful information or not, but please see my reply to jingai.

JoeBlowinski
In your log I see it is adjusting the refresh rate to 24Hz. Try turning off the refresh rate adjustment feature in Kodi.

If that fixes it.. then you've got the same problem I do.
(2014-12-30, 13:57)jingai Wrote: [ -> ]You have a similar configuration to mine, and I have the same problem when refresh rate adjustment is enabled.

If you have it enabled, try turning it off and see if the problem goes away maybe.

jingai,

Thanks for your response. You are correct. Disabling "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" does indeed make the problem go away. Did you find a solution that allowed you to turn display rate adjustment back on?

JoeBlowinski
Unfortunately, no, that's why I posted about it too Smile Hoping the devs can offer some insight.
Thanks to your tip, I was able to stop crying. Wink Let's hope they can find a solution. Thanks again!
Yeah I was beating my head against the wall for a day and a half trying everything I could think of, but I think it's just a bug... 24Hz with any combination of other settings results in the issue, and 60Hz is perfectly in sync (verified with a test file).
Another data point worth getting: if you manually set the audio delay to 1000ms, is the video smooth and in sync?

Mine is exactly 1s delayed, which is kind of curious, so I'm wondering if yours is the same.

edit: note that I already account for the TV lag using my receiver (which is 125ms).
Changing the audio delay doesn't fix anything on my rig. Also, I've never had to mess with any kind of delay. My sound has always been in sync outputting from the Mini to my old receiver via Toslink, and now through HDMI to a new receiver always with passthrough enabled.

I've gone back to Gotham 13.2. I had a back up of my XBMC folder and replaced the depleted one left in Application Support when Kodi did it's thing the first time I started it. I'm back to happy with perfect 24hz playback in 13.2. Given the sheer excellence and dedication of the developers, I'm confident they'll figure out what's the deal for our Kodi screw ups. Until then, I'll just use the wonderful Gotham while keeping Kodi handy for testing purposes.

p.s. I don't think I'm going overboard with my praise here. I'm that blown away by XBMC/Kodi and have been for years. I can't believe what this thing does.
Ok, well just FYI, it should in theory work even better if you disable Passthrough, set XBMC to 5.1 channels, and select Resample Audio for the sync method.
Okay. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
Just to +1, reverted to 13.2 and audio sync is spot-on with zero jerkiness.
Thanks for the update. I took your advice once I thought about it. There were rare occasions when the audio sync was slightly off. So far 13.2, passthrough off, set for 5.1 and Resample Audio is spot on with the video I noticed the sound sync being off.

So we're both back to happy, eh? I'll try the next stable Kodi version to see if that makes any difference, but for now, Gotham is perfect, and I'm not messing with it. The Devs silence so far on our issue may indicate we are a party of two and they have bigger things to tend to..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6