Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi general slow behavior
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've upgraded from xbmc 13.2 to kodi 14
First poroblem was that mkv files doesn't work anymore, I could listen audio but video was alla green or black. In this situation moving in Kodi menu and general program behavior was good and fast.
Then I update graphics card drivers to the latest one. Now mkv movioes are ok but kodi is very slow, move in menu is slow, not fluid, very bad.
I didn't change any options.. with xbmc gotham I didn't have this problems.

have you any suggestion?

thanks!

my hardware:
Amd Radeon HD 6430M 512mb
Cpu Atom D525
Ram 2GB

Windows 7 home premium 32bit
CPU is horrible. That's all.
These tips are for the low powered RPi, but quite a few will be applicable to Kodi with Atom CPU combo.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi#Maxim...erformance
thanks for answers
I wanna say that with 13.2 I didn't have any slowness in Xbmc.. everything was fine.

I think is something about video card and drivers.. I will try these tips anyway
I can't understand why movies and videos are ok.. but moving in menus or in movie list or similar.. is so slow and not fluid!

in release 13.2 it wasn't happen!
debug log (wiki)?
I think I have a similar experience in the menu's and not during playback.
I think it might be related, but I also see weird artifacts in screen.

Is the menu rendered in 3D?

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213936
I will post a log in the thread I mention tonight.

(Im not trying to hijack your thread, If its completely unrelated thats that. Smile )
I'm also not trying to hijack the thread, but I confirm problems with Kodi and rendering menus. I switched from Frodo 14.2, which rendered everything flawlessly (including menus with DolbyHD sound) to Kodi 14.0 and most of the menus (DVD and Bluray) are rendered very slowly. For example I use images of reference Blurays from http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicat...-bd50.html . On Frodo - perfect, on Kodi - sucks on the same machine Sad There might be also a system/drivers issue - on Frodo I had Ubuntu minimal installation 13.04 with nVidia drivers 304.88, with Frodo I tried dozens of combination of Ubuntu minimal 14.04, 14.10 with original and updated kernels, nVidia drivers from nvidia-current to nvidia-331 and nvidia-340 - all don't work as Frodo used to. I tried out-of-the-box Kodibuntu as well - the same problems. I gave up and restored the image with Frodo, which I made just before the reinstallation to Kodi, thankfully Smile So, unfortunately I can't provide my logs now.
My machine is a slightly upgraded Asus EeeBox EB1012P:
- Intel AtomCPU D510
- nVidia ION GT218-ION 512MB
- 4GB RAM
- SSD Samsung MMCRE64G8MPP-0VA
While sempro seems to be still debugging his porblems I decided to install a fresh Kodibuntu on a spare HDD on the very same machine to gather some logs (if you want me to move it to a separate thread - I'll do so). So now I have a fresh installation, no additional addons, default skin. Changes to default config only to enable audio pass-through for all audio streams on nVidia HDMI (my Denon AVR-2113 is capable of decoding everything including HD-audio). Tests on surround demo bluray ISO from http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicat...st21594526 . The very same machine with the very same file opened on XBMC Frodo 12.2 plays it back flawlessly with fluid menu experience including audio pass-through. On Kodi everything is horribly slow, video jitters with roughly 4-7 FPS and no audio played back on AVR.

Please find the logs on the following links :
Bump. Any chance somebody can look into it?
hi everyone,
@reddy: I read all new posts now, I was in holiday and didn't use Kodi so much.

I've install Kodi 14.1 but nothing was change: menu experience still are slow and not fluid.. movies playing doesn't have problems. I'm using Confluence theme (the most light I suppose), I tryed also "maximinimalist theme" but is same story.

Can you tell me how to make some log?
Try turning off adjust display refresh rate to match video and or sync playback to display?
Same here with me. General slow menus in Kodi 14.1, whereas all was smooth in xbmc 13. Nothing has changed in my config.

I'm not even trying to play video yet. It's just the menu's that are all very slugish.

What have I tried from the above comments:
- vertical blanc sync
- adjust display refresh rate
- sync playbay to display
- standard skin

Edit: same CPU as original poster: Intel Atom D525, 4GB RAM, linux 3.12.13, nvidia 340.76 driver.

Any suggestions?
sempro and reddy, if you could come back to this and share how you have solved this?
I can't think that the version jump from 13 to 14 is so much more demanding on the hardware.

If only somebody could either tell me "it's old hardware, buy new and move on" or "keep searching, it's a bug or misconfiguration"
I wish I knew what to suggest. The only major increase in specs that I can think of is that between v12 and v13 we use more RAM, and are less stable on devices with only 256MB of RAM (like the Raspberry Pi Model A). However, all the devices listed in this thread are well above minimal requirements, and shouldn't be seeing slowdowns in menus. I even have some x86 CPUs that are slower than those old ATOMs, and they didn't see any slowdown when you use v14 on them.

Maybe it's something specific to those processors, but that doesn't seem likely to me. We also have this happening on different brands of GPUs, so it's probably not the GPU either. Very weird :\
Pages: 1 2