Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 Installation Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a total novice to Linux and could really use some help! I am sure the answer is obvious but I am stuck. I am running Ubuntu 14.04.1 Server so no GUI, command line only. I have followed the Kodi installation. As far as I can see it went fine. I then created the autostart script from here; http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Autostart_XBMC_for_Linux (section 3). I installed XINIT as it wasn't available on my installation and made a couple of mods to get over permission issues but Kodi doesn't start. As a newby I don't know where to look to see what the issue is. I am using Webmin so I can see that there is no process running call XMBC. My script is;

#! /bin/sh

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: xbmc
# Required-Start: $all
# Required-Stop: $all
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: starts instance of XBMC
# Description: starts instance of XBMC using start-stop-daemon and xinit
### END INIT INFO

############### EDIT ME ##################

# path to xinit exec
DAEMON=/usr/bin/xinit

# startup args
DAEMON_OPTS=" /usr/local/bin/xbmc --standalone -- :0"

# script name
NAME=xbmc

# app name
DESC=XBMC

# user
RUN_AS=martin

# Path of the PID file
PID_FILE=/var/run/xbmc.pid

############### END EDIT ME ##################

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

set -e

case "$1" in
start)
echo "Starting $DESC"
sudo start-stop-daemon --start -c $RUN_AS --background --pidfile $PID_FILE --make-pidfile --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS
;;
stop)
echo "Stopping $DESC"
sudo start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile $PID_FILE
;;

restart|force-reload)
echo "Restarting $DESC"
sudo start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile $PID_FILE
sleep 5
sudo start-stop-daemon --start -c $RUN_AS --background --pidfile $PID_FILE --make-pidfile --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS
;;
*)
N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0

Another question; when I do get Kodi started how do I access it? The web interface is disabled by default so how do I change that? Presumably then I can just do http://n.n.n.n:8080 ?
Are you on intel hardware....if yes, maybe this might help:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165707

I've followed these instruction as well, and all worked fine
I'm running Ubuntu 14 also (Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (Trusty Tahr), 64-bit) but it;s the generic kernel, not the server version (so even though ubuntu-desktop package isn't installed, this doesn't look like the server).

I did step (3) also, and it's worked for me - comes up straight into Kodi. You can then access it using the keyboard/mouse/remote controller (whatever's plugged in), and start the webserver if you need to.

Failing that, edit your "guisettings.xml" file and flick "<webserver>true</webserver>" in "<services>" - my config reads:

<webserver>true</webserver>
<webserverpassword default="true"></webserverpassword>
<webserverport>8000</webserverport>
<webserverusername default="true">kodi</webserverusername>
<webskin default="true">webinterface.default</webskin>

It sounds like we have similar setups so if I can help in any way (you need to compare configs, packages, etc) - holler hard!