Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Overscan issue after crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I came over an issue and I can't find an answer anywhere. I'm using the latest version of kodi (14.0) on kubuntu 14.10. My computer crashed while a movie was on pause and when I resetted it, my entire desktop was overscan. I lost about half an inch all around the screen. It happened to me 2-3 time already with the RC and the only way I've found to fix it is to re-install the OS. It's really time consuming...

My output is HDMI and I'm using the vaapi drivers. I think it's related to the option "Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars" of 10%. After the crash the overscan used for the option is not resetted. There must be an config file somewhere that is modified but I can't find it.

Video: Radeon HD 6350
Kernel : 3.16.0-28-generic x86_64

Thx
Have you simply tried re-calibrating the output (System -> Video Output, I think)?

I've seen this before after a soft crash (i.e. a restart of XBMC, typically on OpenElec - I haven't yet seen it on Kodi). A reboot normally fixes it, otherwise a re-calibration does - I presume the record of what settings it should be using get eaten in the process somehow.
(2015-01-02, 23:50)Prof Yaffle Wrote: [ -> ]Have you simply tried re-calibrating the output (System -> Video Output, I think)?

I've seen this before after a soft crash (i.e. a restart of XBMC, typically on OpenElec - I haven't yet seen it on Kodi). A reboot normally fixes it, otherwise a re-calibration does - I presume the record of what settings it should be using get eaten in the process somehow.

Thx for responding,

I just tried to re-calibrate the output and it's working when I am in kodi but kubuntu desktop is still the same.
Quote:Video: Radeon HD 6350

VAAPI drivers? Nope - vdpau I hope.

Best would be to correct overscan on your TV, set it to "just scan", "fixed" or something.
(2015-01-03, 00:10)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Video: Radeon HD 6350

VAAPI drivers? Nope - vdpau I hope.

Best would be to correct overscan on your TV, set it to "just scan", "fixed" or something.

Cool, The just scan option fixed it ! Thx

Yes I'm using VAAPI from the tutorial http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165707

Should I use vdpau ?

And I've noticed that the rendering is not as fluid as it was before the crash.. any idea why?
You run an AMD radeon card - that's no intel, has no vaapi. You should use this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854
(2015-01-03, 01:01)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]You run an AMD radeon card - that's no intel, has no vaapi. You should use this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854

Oh good to know.

Thx for your help, I'm gonna try that soon as possible.
Switching is easy: sudo apt-get install mesa-vdpau-drivers

then disable VAAPI and enable VDPAU, VDPAU mixer - that's it.
(2015-01-03, 10:07)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Switching is easy: sudo apt-get install mesa-vdpau-drivers

then disable VAAPI and enable VDPAU, VDPAU mixer - that's it.

I followed your tutorial on VDPAU and everything is working awesomely now. Perfect fluidity on high bitrate movies. I was just doing it all wrong Wink

Thx again for your help
Set the topic to "Solved: $old_topic_name", that would be great.

Have fun with your setup