Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to add stand up comedy audio files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks. OSX user here: version 10.6.8 with Kodi 14.0 installed.

I’m having trouble adding mp3 files which contain stand up comedy to my library. I haven’t found any specific information online about comedy, so I’ve assumed that these files should go in my “music” directory in the usual way: a directory for the artist, subdirectory for the album, and file names for the track numbers and names. For example, I’ve put the album “I Have a Pony” by Steven Wright in directory “music/Steven Wright/I Have a Pony” with file names like “01-Introduction.mp3”. According to OSX’s “Get Info” dialog, that file is tagged with:

Authors: Steven Wright
Composer: Steven Wright
Album: I Have a Pony
Title: Introduction

According to iTunes, the same file has Artist, Album Artist, and Composer set to “Steven Wright” but no Authors tag. Aside from that, the strings for all of these are the same as on Allmusic.com, which is one of the sources used by the Universal Album Scraper, which is installed and working on my system for all my other music.

The files don’t show up in my music library, though - not under any of the “Albums”, “Artists”, etc views or in a search. There’s no entry for either the album or the artist. The same thing happens with SW’s other album “I Still Have a Pony” and with John Mulaney’s “The Top Part”. Bill Cosby and Bill Hicks both appear correctly, though - many albums, all tracks.

Is there something obvious I’m missing? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
I've found a workaround: going into the "Files" view of my music library, right-clicking on the "Steven Wright" and "John Mulaney" directories and choosing "Scan item to library" did the trick.

I usually add new items to my music and video libraries by clicking "Update Library" in the left-hand side menu. Is that not the correct way? The system is also configured to scan for new videos and music on startup, and I've restarted Kodi several times and the OS at least once since I started trying to get these files into my library.