Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issues connecting External HDs and library updating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ladies and Gents,

I'd like to first say that I am a newbie to Kodi and I'm not a "smart" computer user...so, any help or explanation on my issues would be greatly appreciated. Using my limited knowledge of magic boxes that blink 1's and 0s and Google I've been able to setup a home media server.

I can now access Kodi on my Fire TV linked thru my wireless router to my standalone intel NUC with external HHDs attached. I can currently "see" all of my file names/hierarchy but when i click on a folder they are all empty. I trouble shot the issue using all the resources I have. I then tested my laptop to see if that would make a difference. Using the same setup method and step-by-step process i used before with the Intel NUC I was able to successfully attach my laptop and watch the videos/files on my Fire TV. (Side note - my Fire TV is loaded with the new Kodi build - I had to sideload it - that was successful)

BLUF: Bottom line up front - I'm having two issues I believe are a simple configuration issue with the NUC/File sharing....but I could be wrong.

1. I can access the folders (NOT the files inside) on my external HHDs, attached to the Intel NUC thru Kodi sideloaded on my Amazon FireTV...I do get the specific error of: "MAC Discovery Failed for..." I was able to attach the HHD to my laptop and it was able to work. I am connecting to Kodi thru Upnp.

2. once I did have the HHD attached to my laptop I made some changes, moved files and re-named them. Now when I go back in there the names are the originals, not what i renamed them. Example: Original name = Mo.vie.2.(2014).avi Changed to = Movie.avi.......in kodi it still shows the original name. I tried updating the library, and some other things....no joy.

Here's a breakdown of what I have going on:
- Western digital HHDs attached USB to Intel NUC
- Intel NUC (Model DC3217BY) running Windows 8
- Wireless network is setup thru the Belkin N (Model F5V8236) wireless router
- Kodi was sideloaded on a Amazon Fire TV (couldn't jailbreak/root - had to sideload)
- Test laptop running windows 7 was a Dell latitude with the Western Digital HHD attached via usb

I tried everything with different sharing options and network links/Shortcuts etc...I don't know what to do next. It could be a config in kodi or on the NUC.....either way i'm clueless.

Thanks in advance for schooling my dumbass on the ways of the Kodi force.

I'll owe you a beer, or the beverage of choice (for the hippies)!

AATW!
One thing you haven't mentioned .. how are your folders shared from Win8 ?
Are you using SMB or NFS to add as a media source in Kodi ?
Are you using Kodi 14.0 release On FireTV ?

Your problem is most likely the protocol being used to share your files
smb is the most common

See if this helps
http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows