Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Rasberry Pi/CuBox/Cotton Candy/MK802
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Did I miss any (in that price range)?

What is your experience with these mini PCs, with mini prices. The Pi seems to be the bottom spec wise, is it actually able to run XBMC and play media files not specifically encoded for it well? Or do you really get improved video playback with of the higher specs in the cubox?

My impressions so far (pre-purchase):
R PI: +Popular +Hackable -Does not even come with a power cord or case -price sckyrockets to around a $100 dollars if you want a power cord, hdmi cable, shipping, ect. -Designed more for projects and education than media center +4 usb ports in the latest B+ edition +Designed dot run Linux and act as a desktop or a media center/android +do it yourself

Cotton Candy/MK802: +All/most included +designed as a media center -Not in Stock -Designed specifically for android more than anything else

CuBox: -More expensive +All inclusive (case, power cord) +Can even get onboard wifi +designed for use as media center

So Maybe you get a better deal on the hardware, and more of exactly what you want with the Cubox, but that was been loads of work done by the community on software and OSes designed to run perfectly on the PI.
There is also the Odroid-C1 that will be getting OpenELEC. It's the same price as the RaspberryPpi B+ but more powerful.

ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
Think the Cotton Candy is out of the game now. It didn't ever really happen.
Hi wisnoskij,

If you are looking for affordable device (with DVB tuner embedded) with good support and hardware decoding of audio/video at XBMC/Kodi, maybe You can consider or take a look at WeTek Play.

Beside Kodi at Android, You can also run OpenELEC from Micro SD and keep Android running at NAND Flash.

http://kodi.wiki/view/WeTek_Play
OK, I was just reading around, you you have to pay extra to watch video on the raspberry pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewto...63&t=91098)? You have to pay for each individual codec?

(2015-01-05, 21:01)tetsuya Wrote: [ -> ]There is also the Odroid-C1 that will be getting OpenELEC. It's the same price as the RaspberryPpi B+ but more powerful.

ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805

That is an interesting one.

Also,
What about this new hevc stuff. Been very impressed with the size/quality Do any of these boxes manage to play it?
(2015-01-05, 23:49)wisnoskij Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I was just reading around, you you have to pay extra to watch video on the raspberry pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewto...63&t=91098)? You have to pay for each individual codec?

Nah, you only need to pay for mpeg2 or vc1 codecs for the pi if you need them, everything else works well oob. The cost is very little too.
If you need Ubuntu to normal usage...humm.. Odroid
If you you want a complete package and not want Ubuntu.... humm... Week
(2015-01-05, 23:23)droidelec Wrote: [ -> ]Hi wisnoskij,

If you are looking for affordable device (with DVB tuner embedded) with good support and hardware decoding of audio/video at XBMC/Kodi, maybe You can consider or take a look at WeTek Play.

Beside Kodi at Android, You can also run OpenELEC from Micro SD and keep Android running at NAND Flash.

http://kodi.wiki/view/WeTek_Play

Oh, Nice. I think this is topping my list right now.
OK. Loads more research.

The Play is a really really nice all included with loads of extras device. But was not designed for the new h.265 HEVC video playback. The developers seems to think it could probably handle 480p but no chance for higher. Of course it can handle many other formats at 1080p.

The Odroid seems to be the only box on this list designed with h.265 playback in mind. The hardware is ready for it, and they already have or are just now getting the driver or whatever they call it to work properly. So the Odroid should give me future proof video playing options (Forget about 4K, but it will be decades before I have a monitor that would support that anyways).

And then there is the Amlogic S812, which has ridiculous specs for its price, all inclusive, 4K hevc, but no [mini]sd card support, and designed for Android (seems to be no support from the developers for any more generic linux based os). $80, free shipping. Loads of extras wifi bluetooth. - really looking like a winner (I just wish it had more official linux support)