Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help me build an HTPC to satisfy my needs.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I have been entertaining the cord cutting idea for a while and stumbled upon the XBMC community. While I have been reading up there seems to be a LOT of solutions for many of the requirements I have but I'm not sure on a best way to start. My question is really two-fold: what hardware and what software should put together to pull this off?

Software Requirements:

- Access to Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Video, YouTube, Google Play Music (would be a big plus!).
- Ability to watch OTA programming (I have an attic mounted antenna).
- Some kind of programming guide for the OTA channels.
- Ability to record (preferably schedule) recording of OTA channels.
- Less important would be the ability to stream HD movies from a network share.

Hardware Requirements:

- WiFi is highly preferable but not required.
- SPDIF
- Can be stored in an entertainment center near the TV

Can I do all of this in one box? What's the simplest solution that would fit these needs?

Any guidance would be helpful, thanks.
Good Value Smile
Zotac BI320 + a 2.5" - 1TB WD Red Drive + usb Dual Band WiFi Dongle

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1871938
Just get a Fire TV and you will be much happier without the HTPC set up and finaggling with getting all the hacks to work for Netflix and Amazon prime.

If VC1 is not a big deal and you are not an audiophile, you should be fine.
Both solutions seem to address the internet streaming requirements but does anyone have some suggestions about working OTA channels into the mix?

I suppose I'm looking for a cable like experience for OTA that can integrate with the internet side of things.
Add a HDHomeRun to the mix?
OTA TV recording will no work on the Amazon Fire TV, plus it has deinterlacing 1080i issues that will ruin Live TV video.

No hacks needed on the BI320 running Win 8.1.
The Windows App store provides apps for Netflix, Amazon, Google etc
Windows Media Centre can be added as well to record Live OTA TV, that video feed can even be brought into Kodi.

The only issue is Microsoft now make you pay for Windows Media Centre for Win 8.1 via a $99 pro upgrade.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windo...ture-packs
It was free with Windows 7.
If you have a licence for Win7 or can get a cheap copy this will be pretty easy to setup the Media Centre.

A good primer for Tv servers that feed video in Kodi can be read here:
http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_recording_software

This will give you some ideas as well:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1634867

The other option is if you run Linux, you can also run a backend TV server like TvHeadend for OTA TV and feed that into Kodi.
It takes a bit of setting up tho and then you will have to do all you Amazon and Netflix viewing etc in a web browser.

Also checkout Mediaportal:
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/
Its hard to find help in here. But I will step up as I see you have HDHOMERUN I have VIGICA C70A ATSC which comes with XBMC and I can use my HDHomeRun with Comcast 3 tuners
wrxtasy, you've been a ton of help!

Is the BI320 the best bang or the buck if I wanted to run Win 8.1 w/ WMC, Kodi, and MediaPortal?

I think those 3 things would satisfy all of my needs (but can this box do it or should I look at something a little more powerful?).

Also for the TV Tuner, how should I approach that since the zBox doesn't have any coax inputs?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Why not nPVR + HDHomerun if you're already looking at Windows? It apparently has the capability to tie into Kodi/XBMC. It's also free.

I use nPVR, but I don't use it with Kodi/XBMC. I only use it for scheduled recording. I edit the commercials with AVIdemux (to .mkv) and playback with MPC-HC + madVR. So, I don't know how well it integrates with Kodi/XBMC.
I don't think Lowres actually has a HDHomerun, not sure how that got into the conversation.

Anyway....

For Mediaportal + the Zotac you need to buy separate TV Tuner Hardware that will plug into the USB port on the box you want to run Mediaportal on. The coax then screws into the tuner hardware.
Some of these tuners can be dual or quad and in all sorts of combinations. The mediaportal software is then used to tune in TV stations just as you would normally. The tuner does not even have to be expensive. I just use a old PS3 dual tuner with my TvHeadend setup.

I recommend you have a browse of this list and just get a cheap USB dual tuner applicable to your DVB requirements:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIA...d_Features

I don't think you are going to find a cheaper pre built setup with room for internal HDD expansion than the Zotac BI320.
It will play any type of video you throw at it with great quality to boot. The thing is fast with its SSD drive too.
You won't need to buy WMC if you go down the free Mediaportal route.

There really are a multitude of free software PVR + purchased tuner hardware options. It depends on how complicated and expensive you want to get.

At least with proven pre built hardware you then only have to concentrate on what PVR software would be the easiest to setup.
You don't need a powerful machine either just to record / playback / FF / RW - Live TV. What you do need is a reasonably sized HDD for TV recordings. A SSD to run the Operating System on will make a speedy combo.
As an example my 8 year old 256MB/1Ghz ATV1 running Ubuntu and TvHeadend works fine. It uses just 10% of CPU resources to decode and serve 1080i TV. This can also send TV via WiFi around the house to other Kodi media boxes for playback.

Smile
For the record I use fire tv with live tv feeding from hd homerun fed n pvr backend and I don't have any issues. Wrxtasy could be right but I am quite happy with the ftv prrformance.

And the paid app experience is much better than windows 8 apps.
(2015-01-06, 07:16)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Lowres actually has a HDHomerun, not sure how that got into the conversation.
He asked for OTA tuner suggestions. Hence my suggesting it.