Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AFTV where is the .apk file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am attempting to install XBMC/Kodi on my Amazon Fire TV Stick. All the tutorials talk about a .apk file. I know nothing about android, so this is all new to me. When I download the suggested file it is kodi-14.0-Helix-armeabi-v7a.zip

When I extract this zipped file there is no .apk file within it.

Should I just rename the zipped file .apk or have I got the wrong file completely for the firetv?

I'm downloading from here: http://kodi.tv/download/ selecting ARM.

I would prefer to install version 13 Gotham if that is more stable. Where can I find a apk version of that (not a zipped file)?

Thanks,

Tim
The arm link is to an apk file.
Try renaming it from .zip to .apk (APK's are actually just zips, anyways). I think one of the mirror servers is acting up, because a few people said they got zip files from the link.
Thanks for your responses. I downloaded it from a different PC, and I got the .apk file. It must have been the way the first PC was configured to recognize file extensions. I had installed WinRar on it and maybe it was making the PC see the .apk as a .zip. Anyway, I finally got Kodi installed on my Amazon Fire Stick and it works a treat (except for iStream, which returns 0 results).
I don't think istream discussion is allowed here.
Yep its still acting up I downloaded it using Windows 7 Explorer 11 and the Stable Kodi for Android showed up as zip instead of .apk

This was 1/14/2015

(2015-01-07, 12:21)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Try renaming it from .zip to .apk (APK's are actually just zips, anyways). I think one of the mirror servers is acting up, because a few people said they got zip files from the link.

(2015-01-08, 22:36)KiwiTim Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your responses. I downloaded it from a different PC, and I got the .apk file. It must have been the way the first PC was configured to recognize file extensions. I had installed WinRar on it and maybe it was making the PC see the .apk as a .zip. Anyway, I finally got Kodi installed on my Amazon Fire Stick and it works a treat (except for iStream, which returns 0 results).

I also have WinRAR But it shouldn't change the file extension it only recognizes them.
It is easy enough to change a file extension, just rename it in windows file explorer.
(2015-01-15, 22:45)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]It is easy enough to change a file extension, just rename it in windows file explorer.

Not that easy for the regular person......I have been in the PC business since the beginning with Atari 800 with Dos but the regular noob NO when you down load for the file you need it and should be Noted on the Download site if it shows ZIP change it to .apk and you have to change it you need to go in to folder settings and change it to see hidden file and extensions so you can change it. Which 90% of the Norms can not do
I went through all the mirrors to see if I could trigger something, but none of the sites gave me any issue that I could see. I imagine what happens is maybe the mime type from the server isn't really set or something, and some web browsers try to be too smart for their own good and add ".zip" to the end. The APK is technically a zip file, so the web browser programmers must think this is a useful feature to identify the file and add a file extension, but it's really a bad design for the browser. This could easily mess people up on any number of files, and not just Kodi.
Haha, yep, it's an Internet Explorer problem. I just googled "internet explorer renaming download" and there's a ton of people complaining about this :)