Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Looking for a better way to launch Kodi on FireTV Stick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the subject says, I've got a FireTV Stick and currently have Llama installed and configured to run Kodi using the semi-bypass method below.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Bypass_Home_on_Fire_TV

When it works, it works.. but, more often than not it stops working. When this happens, Kodi won't be started after the FireTV stick is woken-up from idle. Sometimes, clicking on ikonaTV won't run Kodi as well - though this will usually work the next time I try. I'm not sure what's happening, but it seems like Llama gets unloaded or loses the ability to monitor my "sacrificial" app (I've tried both ClassicTV and ikonaTV).

Anyway, it got me thinking.. is there any reason someone can't submit an app to the Amazon Appstore that simply launches Kodi? Does Amazon prevent these types of apps?

Also - I'm sure it's been discussed many times before - but why can't Kodi just be submitted to the Amazon Appstore and Google Playstore? For that matter, Apple's AppStore as well.. I thought I remember reading there's licensing issues - or maybe it was the "XBMC" name itself.. if so, are there plans to submit these apps now that XBMC has been changed?
You can "buy" SPMC from the amazon App Store then sync your content from within the fire tv stick menu and SPMC will show up as one of the recent apps on the home menu. This is of course after you've sideloaded SPMC first.
SPMC isn't available on Amazon Appstore for the Fire TV Stick so I didn't think that would help. But, given the sideload comment I'm guessing this is a way around that? Either way, I'll try when I get home.

I haven't tried SPMC yet as I kind of like the idea of running the latest and hopefully greatest nightly builds. But, I'm also guessing I can have both Kodi and SPMC installed so it sounds like a valid option.
You can "install" the standard Amazon Store apk.
You'll then get all your installed apps showing up in the Apps tab, whether Amazon marked them as compatible or not.
Cool - thanks for the reply! Just to clarify, you're talking about installing ('adb push') the latest amazon appstore apk from the link below to fire tv stick?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-appstor...mas_rw_ldg

I tried looking through the main SPMC thread to find some mention of this and didn't see any.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=201783

---

On a side-note - I see you're working on a SPMC-Helix branch. If it's working, are there builds available to try? I started going down the path to building the source but I'm using a Mac and several of the build steps didn't work..
(2015-01-08, 21:57)jpage4500 Wrote: [ -> ]Cool - thanks for the reply! Just to clarify, you're talking about installing ('adb push') the latest amazon appstore apk from the link below to fire tv stick?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get-appstor...mas_rw_ldg

It's "adb install - r" but yes, that's it.
(2015-01-08, 21:57)jpage4500 Wrote: [ -> ]On a side-note - I see you're working on a SPMC-Helix branch. If it's working, are there builds available to try? I started going down the path to building the source but I'm using a Mac and several of the build steps didn't work..

I got SPMC-Helix Beta 2 from here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?8...post264764

Koying, do you have a better location where we should look for updated Beta releases?
just a quick follow-up on this.. I was able to install the latest official Amazon Appstore to the Fire TV Stick. I also installed SPMC to the device manually (adp install).

After running the Appstore and then doing a 'sync Amazon content', I now see SPMC show up in the Apps section of the Fire TV menu. The only thing I'm not able to do is get SPMC to show up in the 'Recents' section. Is that possible or did I do something wrong? I have run it several times.

Anyway, as I read somewhere SPMC supports the idle/sleep mode this won't be such a big deal as I shouldn't need to exit it on idle anymore (the Llama instructions above). It's just when someone accidentally hits the HOME button that I'd want it to be available in Recents to get back in again.

btw - thanks for that link to SPMC-Helix!
You have to "buy" SPMC from the amazon website then go into your settings on the stick and sync content. It will show up on your recents.
I did this but don't see it in Recents. It is in the Apps folder, though. For Recents, I was wondering if I had to actually install the app through the Fire TV Stick (using the Appstore)? I had manually loaded it initially.

I tried to install via the FTV but wasn't able to select & hit the 'install' button in the appstore.. it wasn't designed for a FTV remote. I could try a bluetooth keyboard instead but won't bother if that's not going to get it there anyway.
I sideloaded the Appstore apk on my stick, and all my app icons including SPMC show up in the APPS menu as desired (albiet in droid style). But, when I do this my Netflix icon in "Recents" no longer launches anything, and if I remove it I can't bring it back. Netflix icon in "Apps" launches fine. Essentially, 'Recent" stops adding new stuff. So, I've initially concluded that this setup won't fill my needs and I'll just continue on with the Ikono trick unless someone has a different result?

FWIW, I installed the settings.apk on the stick and can now connect a bluetooth keyboard.
I went to the Amazon link above and downloaded the zip folder but it did not include an apk file .Did I do something wrong?
The download button on that page downloads an .apk for me. Not sure why you're getting a .zip file.. maybe your browser is renaming it .zip?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/android...n=&channel=
(2015-01-23, 20:29)Shen2000 Wrote: [ -> ]I went to the Amazon link above and downloaded the zip folder but it did not include an apk file .Did I do something wrong?

Rename the .zip to .apk. I'm guessing you're using Internet Explorer, which likes to rename .apk's to .zip.
Hey, that's great info. Thank you very much. Explains a lot! Will do.