Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ordered chapters for mkv files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
can this be added?
What do you mean 'ordered'?
or segment linking, whatever you want to call it.
Cut the jargon and tell us what you mean?
' Wrote:11. File linking

Matroska™ supports file linking which simply says that a specific file is the predecessor or successor of the current file. To be precise, it's not really the files that are linked but the Matroska™ segments. As most files will probably only contain one Matroska™ segment the following explanations use the term 'file linking' although 'segment linking' would be more appropriate.

Each segment is identified by a unique 128 bit wide segment UID. This UID is automatically generated by mkvmerge(1). The linking is done primarily via putting the segment UIDs (short: SID) of the previous/next file into the segment header information. mkvinfo(1) prints these SIDs if it finds them.

If a file is split into several smaller ones and linking is used then the timecodes will not start at 0 again but will continue where the last file has left off. This way the absolute time is kept even if the previous files are not available (e.g. when streaming). If no linking is used then the timecodes should start at 0 for each file. By default mkvmerge(1) does not use file linking. If you want that you can turn it on with the --link option. This option is only useful if splitting is activated as well.

Regardless of whether splitting is active or not the user can tell mkvmerge(1) to link the produced files to specific SIDs. This is achieved with the options --link-to-previous and --link-to-next. These options accept a segment SID in the format that mkvinfo(1) outputs: 16 hexadecimal numbers between 0x00 and 0xff prefixed with '0x' each, e.g. '0x41 0xda 0x73 0x66 0xd9 0xcf 0xb2 0x1e 0xae 0x78 0xeb 0xb4 0x5e 0xca 0xb3 0x93'. Alternatively a shorter form can be used: 16 hexadecimal numbers between 0x00 and 0xff without the '0x' prefixes and without the spaces, e.g. '41da7366d9cfb21eae78ebb45ecab393'.

If splitting is used then the first file is linked to the SID given with --link-to-previous and the last file is linked to the SID given with --link-to-next. If splitting is not used then the one output file will be linked to both of the two SIDs.

Source
Why?

Explaining your use case may help.
It sounds interesting at a technical, but I can't see the use case for kodi?
The use for kodi it's just to support the feature and play properly files using this feature.

I'm also waiting for this feature to be implemented, to be able to play properly all the files i have using it.

And it's not jargon, "ordered chapters" is the way the feature is named.

It's used since a long time, and quite often in anime, they made only one file for opening/ending, and after they remove them in the episode and link them to the external files using this feature.
(2015-01-10, 07:23)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Cut the jargon and tell us what you mean?
If you don't know what ordered chapters or segment linking is, why don't you google it to find out

Shogunreaper: see http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=55764&page=10
I'm not sure if other people use it, mostly anime users use it to save space and cut OP\EDs out
(2015-01-10, 15:15)Shogunreaper Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if other people use it, mostly anime users use it to save space and cut OP\EDs out
Thanks for the polite post. I understand now. I'm not an anime watcher.

I do recall a discussion about this previously on this forum. So a search may reveal some insight.
Seems to be a few posts on it.. but none of them look like they were given a definitive answer.
bump
(2015-01-17, 04:04)Shogunreaper Wrote: [ -> ]bump
You can stop that right away. There is 10 pages of posts and definitive answer have been given.
I don't see one
Pages: 1 2