Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Getting "Operation not supported" trying to open SMB share
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I'm getting an "Operation not supported" error trying to open SMB share. I can see the workgroup but when trying to open the server name in question (in this case DISKSTATION, my NAS name) it throws the error:

Enabling the GUEST user on the NAS lets me access the share from kodi but that it's really not such a good idea for a NAS server so I'm trying to solve that issue rather than trust that workaround. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

that's exactly what I'm experiencing with my Synology Diskstation as well.

If I access a share on my Windows 7 PC, it prompts for user name and password. Using the NAS shares this way just results in the error message you mentioned.

The workaround is easy, though:

Instead of browsing through the SMB shares, you can just add it manually. To do so select "Add network location..." in the "browse for new share" dialog.
Select SMB as protocol, enter your server and share name. You are able to enter username and password here as well.

If everything went fine, your NAS share should be added to the list.

Greetings

Nico
(2015-01-15, 14:45)scope_v24 Wrote: [ -> ]The workaround is easy, though:

Instead of browsing through the SMB shares, you can just add it manually. To do so select "Add network location..." in the "browse for new share" dialog.
Select SMB as protocol, enter your server and share name. You are able to enter username and password here as well.

If everything went fine, your NAS share should be added to the list.

Thanks for answering Nico. I remember I read a post that suggested that same solution and I tried it but it didn't work, I will try it again when I get home though since at that time I was fairly new to smb shares configurations and maybe I put the url or something wrong. The workaround I ended up doing was editing the Sources.xml/Types (wiki) file and adding the smb share there. I'm leaving this post opened because the actual issue is still present and I just worked around it.