Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Airplay is not working with the iphone: missing router feature?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
i have kodi 14.0 (release) installed on my Amazon Fire TV. In general it works great, the fire TV is connected via LAN cable with my router and i have a NAS which is connected to my router too. In this configuration Kodi plays every kind of media i have on my NAS.

My problem is about the Airplay service of Kodi.
I activated the service in the Kodi options (gave a password too) and then even restarted the Fire TV, but i am not able to find Kodi as airplay target in my iphone 6!
I read about that Kodi/XBMC airplay should work with the iphone, so i think the problem could be hardware related.
There is a spotify app for the Amazon Fire TV (this is a normal app that can be installed via the main menu of the device) and this app works kind of like an airplay client, but only in conjunction with a spotify app installed on the iphone and a premium account - i have both - and here i have the same problem the Fire TV is not listed in the spotify app on the iphone.

My assumtion is that there need to be a special network protocol activated or supported in the router to allow such airplay services in the local network, maybe a missing router feature. Is this possible?
For AirPlay to work you need to have Bonjour installed. I have no idea what a Fire TV is so not sure if that's an option.
I am talking about the Amazon Fire TV, it is a small box htcp, like the apple tv.
AirPlay can be activated as a service on Kodi so i think Bonjour should be automatically installed as a dependency of Kodi.
It's not on Windows. Had to manually install it.

I'd assume that's also the case with your Fire TV and Kodi.
He is talking about an android box. @tonnow - you need to ensure that your aftv is in the same network as the iphone (same subnet). Also you need to ensure that your router doesn't block multicast traffic which is needed for airplay. Last but not least - if you have ios 8 on your iphone then you will only be able to stream music/audio to your aftv. Video airplay with ios8 clients is broken for kodi when using android (might never work for android at all).