Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: firetv stick constant buffering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I set up Kodi on my firetv stick. I have an external hdd with tv shows attached to my router.
The only way I could get the hdd to show up on as a file location was SMB.
When I click on a show to play it one of a few things happens:
1) there is a 3-5 second delay then it shows a buffering ring then it appears to play. play back seems to be fine
2) same as number 1 EXCEPT play back buffers every 5-10 seconds.

I have changed the buffering cache but it has not changed anything.
I have the stick attached to my router at 5Ghz

any help would be appreciated.
Without knowing more, my assumption would be that there's nothing on the Kodi side to fix, but that there is a bottleneck on the network somewhere and data just can't be transferred fast enough. Some files might have a much higher bitrate, and/or the wifi network just isn't fast enough, or maybe you're right on the edge of being fast enough and when it buffers it's because of another computer's network traffic. It's hard to say.

You can use mediainfo (wiki) to find out the bitrate of the various files. Give us some examples of those. Also, tell us what model of router you have. Maybe also include a debug log (wiki) of when you play something back and it buffers all the time.

While the Fire TV stick is better than most "sticks" when it comes to wifi performance, it is still wifi.
http://trendblog.net/setup-kodi-xbmc-fir...p-content/

There are 3 advancedsetting.xml files on the How to make your Fire TV run 1080p MKVs without buffering issues give them a try..

Hope that helps..
(2015-01-13, 07:38)Bolex Wrote: [ -> ]http://trendblog.net/setup-kodi-xbmc-fir...p-content/

There are 3 advancedsetting.xml files on the How to make your Fire TV run 1080p MKVs without buffering issues give them a try..

Hope that helps..

Seems that blog just took three random advancedsettings.xml examples without any real thought. Two of the three example files are pretty much useless. Adjusting the buffer will only help people who are on the "edge" of just being fast enough or who are getting intermittent interference. I would advice people to consult the wiki instead, which actually explains what these settings do: HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki)
I just wanted to add my two cents.

I was using a test movie that had an average bitrate of 15.4 Mbps with DTS-HD. It would buffer constantly. I tried changing my buffermode to 1 and changing my cache member buffer size and the readbufferfactor. At the end, I just needed more bandwidth on the Fire TV Stick. I tweaked my router so it forced the fire stick to join the WIFI using Wireless N 5ghz and utilize MIMO. So far no buffering.

I change buffermode back to 0. Kept the cache size to default and increase the readbufferfactor to 10. I'll play around with it some more.
I have similar issues with 720p bitrates above 4k and any 1080p with bitrates above 3k. Will check for priorities in my e1550 router by Cisco and see if that helps and follow this thread.