Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External subtitles and dvd folders don't mix :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

Over the years I amassed a huge DVD library and most of my DVDs are from the US (I live in Greece). As a result those DVDs run at 29.9 FPS.
I have a hard time finding subtitles that work with my DVDs from the online tool that Kodi comes with (the subtitles button when you start the movie).
I tried to download some subtitles and re-sync/convert them my self but I run into the following problem.
I can't make kodi see my external subtitles. I store my DVD's as folders on the hard drive (the usual folders, AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS) because I don't want any compression on them since I will loose quality from doing that).
So the way I use subtitles is this, I find the one I want.. re-sync it and then store it in the VIDEO_TS folder of the movie as Video_TS.srt.. the same method that kodi uses when u download a subtitle from inside the player.
But Kodi doesn't see the subtitle....
If I use Kodi to download a subtitle it uses it but as soon as I close the movie and restart it again kodi doesn't see the subtitle it I originally downloaded and I have to re-download the file in order for kodi to play it.... and ofc as a result I can't replace the subtitle that kodi downloaded with the resynced subtitle I made because kodi will not see it until I make it download it again in which case it will overwrite my synced one with the one from the internet.

In sort is there a way to make Kodi see external subtitles for movies that follow the original DVD storage method (just copying the contents of the dvd into a folder)?
Please any one can help me? Does kodi support external subtitles for DVDs stored in the original folder format?
No one?
Don't know. Easy solution, use MakeMKV
Well thanks for the suggestion but as you can imagine converting 1500 DVDs is a bit harder than adding subtitles to the existing folders xD
Any one else please?
No, at least not automatically. Try loading the subs via the audio settings while playing the dvd/main title.
well the subtitles I wanna use obviously are not in the DVD cause I'm from Greece and I was Greek subtitles which are not present in a US DVD xD

Unless I misunderstood you!
(2015-01-18, 12:47)johny6969 Wrote: [ -> ]well the subtitles I wanna use obviously are not in the DVD cause I'm from Greece and I was Greek subtitles which are not present in a US DVD xD

Unless I misunderstood you!
I think Ace was suggesting that you use the speaker button on the menu that appears when you move the mouse during playback. It opens the Audio and Subtitles Menu. That button is 3 buttons to the left of the subtitle download ( = ) button.

On the "Audio and Subtitles" menu you can choose "Browse for Subtitle." It will take you to the VIDEO_TS folder for that movie. If the movie has original subtitles in another language, you will be able to choose the previously synced VIDEO_TS.srt file for playback and the menu will disappear and your subtitles will play.

That works for me for all DVDs that have non-english subtitles.

Unfortunately, if the DVD has no internal subtitles at all, there is a bug in Gotham that prevents the Enable Subtitles button on the Audio and Subtitles menu from staying on...and even though you can browse and load en external sub, it will not display.

Hopefully most of your DVDs have internal subs of some kind.

It is a bit of a pain to load the subtitles manually every time you play, but far less work than re-encoding 1500 movies to MKV.

I discovered this workaround because I backup all my DVD's...in the Great White North, re-encoding to MKV became illegal in 2012.

Best of luck.

-Wapitikev
Thank you Wapitikev I will give it a try Smile
However you can add dvd subtitles and choose the language you want . Soft or hard subtitles are available. You can use handbrake or its alternative http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tip...ative.html See the "Subtitle" tab on the main interface of Handbrake. Then press "Import SRT" button to embed .srt subtitle to the movie file. You can attach more than one subtitle to the movie with Handbrake. Then choose the output format you want from the side window and click "Start" to add srt to AVI or even a YouTube video. Then you won't worry about how to add subtitles to a YouTube video any more and can freely enjoy movies with subtitles in your favorite language.