Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Amazon fireTV audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if this is the same issue.

Set up:
AFTV with KODI 14.0
HDMI to Panasonic GT30 series TV
TOSLINK Optical to Denon Amp
Playing Movie content

No DD or DTS 5.1 even though passthrough is enabled, number of channels is 2.0, DD and transcoding enabled as is DTS.

NETFLIX outputs DD 5.1 on AFTV but Kodi doesn't.

Movie content says AAC & 2.0 for everything. I thought there would be DD 5.1 content as well.

Unable to change Audio output device as it is greyed out with android, audiotrack.

Lost for ideas
You listed your Kodi settings, but what are your actual AFTV settings, what do you have configured for your Audio settings?

I have a very similar set up (Panny, Denon, AFTV), and my Denon displays Dolby Digital or DTS Surround when playing those formats. I can take a look at my settings later and reply back if you issue hasn't resolved by then.
AFTV set up as Dolby Digital via optical
I think I initially tried via Optical at first, but could not get sound to properly play. I then switched to HDMI and I believe it resolved. I'll report back later to verify.
My AFTV also has Passthrough output device greyed out with android audiotrack written. I'm sure it's not always been like this. It appears to be caused by an android issue.
I think passthrough is only available via HDMI on Kodi for Android. Using optical will only result in stereo sound, at least as far as I know.
(2015-01-14, 04:04)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I think passthrough is only available via HDMI on Kodi for Android. Using optical will only result in stereo sound, at least as far as I know.

This seems not to be correct. I didn't get DD5.1 nor DTS with HDMI passthrough. Optical cable is working fine with DD5.1 and DTS (surely you have to adjust the AFTV settings accordingly).
Ned Scott, are you confirming that surround sound only works via optical when using Kodi on ATV? Is this just for files on your LAN?

Using the HDMI and Amazon apps the surround works fine.
No, I'm not confirming anything. The location of the video files has no effect on the sound settings, though.
Found some content in DD5.1 on Kodi and it worked fine. I think most uploaded items are done so in stereo only to save size.
DD, DTS, and DTS core from DTS-HD all pass through my FireTv via both optical and HDMI.

I have HDMI going to my Vizio with optical from Vizio to Denon receiver. I also have the optical on the FireTv straight to Denon. Both work.

Vizio was the only TV (tried LG and Samsung before settling on the Vizio) that would do DTS passthrough from TV HDMI to optical out to receiver. Great little bonus with the Vizio. LG and Samsung converted to 2-channel.
(2015-01-16, 13:50)JonnyVee Wrote: [ -> ]DD, DTS, and DTS core from DTS-HD all pass through my FireTv via both optical and HDMI.

I have HDMI going to my Vizio with optical from Vizio to Denon receiver. I also have the optical on the FireTv straight to Denon. Both work.

Vizio was the only TV (tried LG and Samsung before settling on the Vizio) that would do DTS passthrough from TV HDMI to optical out to receiver. Great little bonus with the Vizio. LG and Samsung converted to 2-channel.

You have DTS-HD passing through on your Fire TV (Android box)? I'm interested in how you accomplished this. If I remember correctly, I thought I remember reading that Android currently does not allow passthrough of HD Audio streams...
(2015-01-16, 16:28)DruTheFu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-16, 13:50)JonnyVee Wrote: [ -> ]DD, DTS, and DTS core from DTS-HD all pass through my FireTv via both optical and HDMI.

You have DTS-HD passing through on your Fire TV (Android box)? I'm interested in how you accomplished this. If I remember correctly, I thought I remember reading that Android currently does not allow passthrough of HD Audio streams...

I actually wrote the DTS core audio from the DTS-HD signal is passed through. So you're half right - it won't pass that DTS-HD signal, but it can use the DTS core audio. DTS-HD does not equal silence. ... Dolby TrueHD does not work!

Having said that, my old Denon 1708 does not process HD audio anyways.
(2015-01-13, 22:29)Fosty148 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if this is the same issue.

Set up:
AFTV with KODI 14.0
HDMI to Panasonic GT30 series TV
TOSLINK Optical to Denon Amp
Playing Movie content

No DD or DTS 5.1 even though passthrough is enabled, number of channels is 2.0, DD and transcoding enabled as is DTS.

NETFLIX outputs DD 5.1 on AFTV but Kodi doesn't.

Movie content says AAC & 2.0 for everything. I thought there would be DD 5.1 content as well.

Unable to change Audio output device as it is greyed out with android, audiotrack.

Lost for ideas

Just received my FTV box yesterday, so I'm kinda new to this.

Sideloaded Kodi 14.1 RC1 and I have it connected to my Panasonic GT50 vis HDMI.
Audio is via optical out to my Logitech Z5500 speakers.

I get both DTS and DD shown on the Logitech panel, and thus the sound, when playing material encoded with that format.

All works well.