Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can Kodi serv live tv to other devices via DLNA?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have Kodi setup to use Argus TV backend with an HD Home Run device for DVB-T television. Everything works great on the TV and computer where Kodi is setup.

However, I have other TV's in the house that I want to get my Over the Air TV to. I don't want to physically run coax cable to each tv from the antenna because I'm lazy and I want to be able to pause live tv. I was wondering if there was a way where my one Kodi device could serv live tv streams via DLNA to my other TV's and provide me the ability to pause live TV.

I already know that the HD Home Run device can stream live TV via DLNA but it's not very reliable, I can't see what's on, and it doesn't pause live tv.

Any help or feedback on this would be appreciated.
I'm not sure if Kodi can do that or not, but the idea is to use some form of HTPC for the TVs you want to watch media on. Then you'd just configure the Argus client and start watching.
I was trying to get away from having to purchase a Kodi device for each of the TV's. I know I can do that Raspberry Pi to keep costs down but my thought is that if I have a TV which already supports DLNA, it would be nice if I could stream my TV stations from my Kodi device, possibly see what's on based on the EPG data in Kodi, and pause TV.

I suppose what I should really look into is a plugin for my ArgusTV backend that could stream through DLNA on the network.
This would be very nice when you using a appliance setup like OpenELEC with Tvheadend or VDR backend runing on the same box as the frontend.

That is you have a HTPC running a custom Linux OS which have Kodi as its only interface, just like with a commercial set-top box.

This way you really do not even have to have any technical knowledge or have a separate server running on the network for the backend.

Perfect setup to recommend for friends and family members that are not tech-savvy.
I'm not sure if the little wrinkle that it is OTA content through the Kodi PVR matters, but I know that you can use the UPNP "Play using" kodi feature to direct content to other DLNA enabled boxes.

Try it with basic local content off disk first, just hit the context menu and select 'play using' after first enabling the functionality in settings, services (I think).