Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External render support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why doesn't Kodihave built in support for rendering to an external device such as Chromecast or local cast. There are many apps appearing such as Showbox that have this why not Kodi?
I realise that you can create a player core factory.XML file but its a bit of a FAFF tbh especially with more and more apps are coming out that have it as standard, this is what will kill off Kodi eventually which will be a damn shame tbh, I have already started to switch to using Showbox because of this.
My mother always said: "Don't do what the others do, do what is right"
I like that one!
Chromecast dedicated hardware was only a gimmick, it is loosing popularity with the introduction of Android TV and other more HTPC-like frameworks like Kodi.

Hardware pricing is what drives this market and you can now get cheap Chromecast-sized devices running full Android, Linux, and Windows.

Casting capability is build into Android 5.0 and Android TV, and there are many open source alternatives, no need for a dedicated device.

It would not surprise me if Google killed of the the Chromecast hardware-line soon with the price dropping for real Android TV based devices.
Yep. Seriously, buying a chromecast when you can get an AFTV stick for the same price would seem a strange move to me, at least for kodi users.
Google dropped the glasses aswell - wasn't there someone wanting to run kodi on that? ^^ - glad we didn't invest any time in that Wink
(2015-01-20, 18:23)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]Seriously, buying a chromecast when you can get an AFTV stick for the same price would seem a strange move to me, at least for kodi users.
Yes at $39 RRP the Amazon Fire TV Stick is a good example as it too supports Miracast screen mirroring from your smart phone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire...B00GDQ0RMG