Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Questions about Kodi in android
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. I have an android TV Mygica atv520. I have been using XBMC, but yesterday I tried the las version of Kodi, v14, and here are my experiences:

-With the same options I had with the XBMC v13.2 the video plays some part out of the screen, it is not centered in the screen, it is displaced to the right of the screen, losing a big part of the video. I have tried the calibration tool, but the display is perfectly calibrated, why is it happening?....

-This is general for all versions of XBMC, why is XBMC playing only in 720p?. Theorically my device supports 1080p, and it is connected to my smart tv through HDMI, so it is 1080p capable, why is XBMC not using this reolution?. The device comes with another player built in and with this one the resolution seems to be 1080p, but I am not able to use it because I don´t have 5.1 sound with it, so I am bound to use XBMC althoug it is only 720p. what is the limitation of XBMC to use only 720p?..... If the goal of XBMC project is to become one of the best players in the scene, I think this limitation is a very big problem, don´t you think?....

Ok, so this is all, it is a pity to have such a great device, device that has video playback as the main feature, and not be able to play movies as desired, 1080p and 5.1 soud, snifff....

And an off topic, I was surprised to see the change of name, I have been using XBMC and following you since the first Xbox, I already have it connected and working, in these days the XBMC was the very best player you could find both in consoles or in any other platform, was great..... and I see you have been doing a great job since then... keep it so....

Best regards.

EDIT: One last question, is there any way to get the covers of the movies for the movies I have in a NAS, conected by the upnp option in XMBC?.
For the first video playback issue, try the 14.1 test build: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213108

Regarding 720, I'm told that all some (all?) amlogic devices will render the GUI at 720, but the actual video output is 1080, even though the output info only says 720. You can test this here to see what is actually happening: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211244
(2015-01-20, 08:28)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]For the first video playback issue, try the 14.1 test build: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=213108

Regarding 720, I'm told that all some (all?) amlogic devices will render the GUI at 720, but the actual video output is 1080, even though the output info only says 720. You can test this here to see what is actually happening: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=211244

First of all, thank you very much for your fast answer. I think I will stay with 13.2 version, I don´t think the new one has any advantage I will need.
About resolution, I will try the video you tell me and check the resolution, I hope it will confirm that the GUI is 720p, but the videos will play at 1080p. The info feature of the tv always says the output is 1080p.....But I am not sure, maybe it is me, but I would say that I see quality differences between playing a movie from the XMBC than playing it from a built in player... I don´t know....

Best regards.
Well, I have tried it yesterday and I am happy to confirm that mygica atv520 with XBMC plays the test vídeo in 1080p. The stripes show perfectly clear.... And I have also tried the "o" key option, and again I can see the real resolution that XBMC is playing the video, full hd, so I am happy to know that....

But one bad thing, with the "o" key I have seen that the 2 cpu´s have a very hig use when playing full hd videos, I am afraid this is not good, some times they get to 100%, and maybe this is why sometimes I can feel that the playback is not perfectly smooth in some scenes.... I don´t know.

Best regards.
Is hardware decoding turned on under Settings -> Videos -> Acceleration ?
Yes, it is turned on by default, as I have an amlogic device. For the moment I have returned to the last XBMC estable version, I think the 13.2. And it is working fine. Do you know the advantages of the kodi version?. Do you think it would be worth to waste time getting kodi version woking?.....

Best regards and thank you very much.
(2015-01-21, 16:45)DrJ Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it is turned on by default, as I have an amlogic device. For the moment I have returned to the last XBMC estable version, I think the 13.2. And it is working fine. Do you know the advantages of the kodi version?. Do you think it would be worth to waste time getting kodi version woking?.....

The shifting of the playback screen is due to the axis not being mapped correctly for the box. It is better to stay in official geniatech build that are confirmed to work with the box. As for Kodi, the benefits I noticed have the resolver working better and over performance with stability but nothing to loose sleep over.
(2015-01-21, 16:45)DrJ Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it is turned on by default, as I have an amlogic device. For the moment I have returned to the last XBMC estable version, I think the 13.2. And it is working fine. Do you know the advantages of the kodi version?. Do you think it would be worth to waste time getting kodi version woking?.....

Kodi is not a different program. Kodi is just a new name, and v14 is the new version of the software. Kodi v14 is the latest stable version of the program.
OK, then I will stay with the 13.2 that seems to be working fine.

One last question. I feel some instantaneous slowdowns when playing big movies, like HD or 3D. My device is a dula core, and from support service tell me that may not be powerfull enough to play big movies. Do you think it could be true?.

I have changed some options regarding refresh syncronization, do you think this could help?. I am not sure, but I think that dual core shoud be enough to play all kind of movies.... My dual core TV plays tehm flawlessly without any problem, and I assume that the power of the tv should be much less that the power of the MyGica atv520, don´t you think?.

I haven´t been able to watch a whole movie with the new settings, but I wanted to know if this options could improve the playback in the TV....

(2015-01-21, 08:33)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Is hardware decoding turned on under Settings -> Videos -> Acceleration ?

(2015-01-21, 20:47)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]

The shifting of the playback screen is due to the axis not being mapped correctly for the box. It is better to stay in official geniatech build that are confirmed to work with the box. As for Kodi, the benefits I noticed have the resolver working better and over performance with stability but nothing to loose sleep over.
Well, I have been able to watch 2 or 3 movies with 13.2 version and sttings of syncronitations changed, and it is the same, it happens more with 3D movies, but also with HD ones.... It is not a very problematic issue, but I find it anoying, grrrr.... I have also the feeling that the same movies played with the movie player that comes with the android TV play flawlessly without slowdowns, but I have the problem that it doesn´t support DLNA to play them from my NAS. And the other app that comes with android TV, DLNA media centar, also seems to play them fine, but it has not 5.1 support, so my only chance to have it all I am afraid is the XBMC/Kodi..... but those slowdowns bother me so much, grrr....

I have tried the "o" key option to see the CPU usage and it doesn´t to be the problem, both CPU´s very rarely go above 40 % or so... so I guess power is not the problem here.... what else could it be?.....I have also seen with the "o" option that the FPS vary a lot, I don´t know if it is normal....

Please give me some solution, tell me there is a solution for my problem, please.... I bought the android TV with watching movies as the main and almost the only goal, and if I can´t use it....

Best regards...

(2015-01-22, 12:35)DrJ Wrote: [ -> ]OK, then I will stay with the 13.2 that seems to be working fine.

One last question. I feel some instantaneous slowdowns when playing big movies, like HD or 3D. My device is a dual core, and from support service of the device, mygica, tell me that it may not be powerfull enough to play big movies. Do you think it could be true?.

I have changed some options regarding refresh syncronization, do you think this could help?. I am not sure, but I think that dual core shoud be enough to play all kind of movies.... My dual core TV plays them flawlessly without any problem (except that I have very short 5.1 sound cuts every 4 minutes), and I assume that the power of the tv should be much less than the power of the MyGica atv520, don´t you think?.

I haven´t been able to watch a whole movie with the new settings, but I wanted to know if this options could improve the playback in the TV....

(2015-01-21, 08:33)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]Is hardware decoding turned on under Settings -> Videos -> Acceleration ?

(2015-01-21, 20:47)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]

It is strange, I have tested some more versions, and some of them have a strange bug, when playing 3D movies, XBMC have an option to duplicate the control panel during playback, so you can see the control panel correctly when you turn the 3D vision in the Tv. Well, in most of the versions this option doesn´t work correctly, in the version that came with the new mygica 1800e+ that a friend has just bought, when you duplicate the control panel, de movie is seen only once, not dupolicated, and if you disable the option for duplicating the control panel, then the movie displays duplicated side by side, but the control panel is only seen once, so when you turn the tv to 3d, you can not see the control panel correctly.... In the last kodi version a very similar thing happens.... the one I have now, 13.2 does it correctly, when I turn the control panel option to 3D, the movie displays twice, and also the control panel is duplicated, so when you turn the tv to 3D vision, both the movie and the control panel displays correctly.

Best regards.

(2015-01-26, 08:35)DrJ Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I have been able to watch 2 or 3 movies with 13.2 version and sttings of syncronitations changed, and it is the same, it happens more with 3D movies, but also with HD ones.... It is not a very problematic issue, but I find it anoying, grrrr.... I have also the feeling that the same movies played with the movie player that comes with the android TV play flawlessly without slowdowns, but I have the problem that it doesn´t support DLNA to play them from my NAS. And the other app that comes with android TV, DLNA media centar, also seems to play them fine, but it has not 5.1 support, so my only chance to have it all I am afraid is the XBMC/Kodi..... but those slowdowns bother me so much, grrr....

I have tried the "o" key option to see the CPU usage and it doesn´t to be the problem, both CPU´s very rarely go above 40 % or so... so I guess power is not the problem here.... what else could it be?.....I have also seen with the "o" option that the FPS vary a lot, I don´t know if it is normal....

Please give me some solution, tell me there is a solution for my problem, please.... I bought the android TV with watching movies as the main and almost the only goal, and if I can´t use it....

Best regards...

(2015-01-22, 12:35)DrJ Wrote: [ -> ]OK, then I will stay with the 13.2 that seems to be working fine.

One last question. I feel some instantaneous slowdowns when playing big movies, like HD or 3D. My device is a dual core, and from support service of the device, mygica, tell me that it may not be powerfull enough to play big movies. Do you think it could be true?.

I have changed some options regarding refresh syncronization, do you think this could help?. I am not sure, but I think that dual core shoud be enough to play all kind of movies.... My dual core TV plays them flawlessly without any problem (except that I have very short 5.1 sound cuts every 4 minutes), and I assume that the power of the tv should be much less than the power of the MyGica atv520, don´t you think?.

(2015-01-21, 20:47)xbmcdoc Wrote: [ -> ]The shifting of the playback screen is due to the axis not being mapped correctly for the box. It is better to stay in official geniatech build that are confirmed to work with the box. As for Kodi, the benefits I noticed have the resolver working better and over performance with stability but nothing to loose sleep over.
Any more suggestions?.....

Best regards.