Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Animated Movie Posters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-04-23, 08:34)rschiks Wrote: [ -> ]I completely forgot to thank koufos (again Big Grin) for the massive amount of animated posters! Thanks!

Big Grin
(2016-04-23, 12:55)koufos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-23, 08:34)rschiks Wrote: [ -> ]I completely forgot to thank koufos (again Big Grin) for the massive amount of animated posters! Thanks!

Big Grin

The MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(2016-04-22, 17:29)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]what i mean is many that i have seen listed as "added to the database" are not showing up for me, and even some titles which i have 2 copies of, one works and one does not. (i have a 3D ISO and a standard remux of Avatar, one is showing animated poster and one doesnt)

what im asking is how does this work, i realize its from skinhelper and my current skin but do i need to re scrape my library? or do i need to manually download the poster myself and manually point kodi to the file?

of the ones i saw in the database i have about 300 of those titles, so in theory shouldnt all 300 be working?

The animated artwork database is cached at every fresh kodi boot to not overload the server with requests.
So, if any new posters have been added to the database a simple Kodi restart is enough to fetch the latest database.

Matching of the artwork is done by using the IMDB ID so that has to be correctly scraped into your database.

As an extra tool there is also an entry in the context menu for the animated artwork, you can use that to either manually select a preferred poster from the database (if there are multiple entries) or to select an image yourself.

Note that all this will ONLY work if your skin supports the animated artwork feature.
It is provided by the skinhelper service (which many skins support) and it uses the database discussed on this forum thread.
(2016-04-24, 10:53)marcelveldt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-22, 17:29)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]what i mean is many that i have seen listed as "added to the database" are not showing up for me, and even some titles which i have 2 copies of, one works and one does not. (i have a 3D ISO and a standard remux of Avatar, one is showing animated poster and one doesnt)

what im asking is how does this work, i realize its from skinhelper and my current skin but do i need to re scrape my library? or do i need to manually download the poster myself and manually point kodi to the file?

of the ones i saw in the database i have about 300 of those titles, so in theory shouldnt all 300 be working?

The animated artwork database is cached at every fresh kodi boot to not overload the server with requests.
So, if any new posters have been added to the database a simple Kodi restart is enough to fetch the latest database.

Matching of the artwork is done by using the IMDB ID so that has to be correctly scraped into your database.

As an extra tool there is also an entry in the context menu for the animated artwork, you can use that to either manually select a preferred poster from the database (if there are multiple entries) or to select an image yourself.

Note that all this will ONLY work if your skin supports the animated artwork feature.
It is provided by the skinhelper service (which many skins support) and it uses the database discussed on this forum thread.

thanks, im not sure if my issue is skin releated, Im using Estuary Mod, many posters work, i can goto movie info and goto choose artwork but when i goto animated poster its always blank, or i can manually point to a poster.
Hi, I just wanted to say thanks to all involved in this! I'm using the animated movie posters in my mod (http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256841) and it really improves it a lot... please keep up with your good work, it's really appreciated!

Thanks again! Smile
What's the max resolution for the posters?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-04-27, 10:35)HomeTheatreGuru Wrote: [ -> ]What's the max resolution for the posters?

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think there's a limit for the resolution, but do you mean for using in Kodi or in general for the animated gifs?
(2016-04-27, 11:32)rschiks Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-27, 10:35)HomeTheatreGuru Wrote: [ -> ]What's the max resolution for the posters?

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think there's a limit for the resolution, but do you mean for using in Kodi or in general for the animated gifs?

Well some of these animated posters look considerably lower resolution to me than standard posters. Maybe that's just me.
(2016-04-24, 15:52)dukester Wrote: [ -> ]thanks, im not sure if my issue is skin releated, Im using Estuary Mod, many posters work, i can goto movie info and goto choose artwork but when i goto animated poster its always blank, or i can manually point to a poster.

In that case there was no match, most likely meaning that there is not yet an animated poster available in the database
(2016-04-28, 00:14)HomeTheatreGuru Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-27, 11:32)rschiks Wrote: [ -> ]

Sent from my iPhone

Well some of these animated posters look considerably lower resolution to me than standard posters. Maybe that's just me.

problem is still the 256 colors of the gif
if you choose now the default fanart.tv size of a poster or a 1000x1500 of tmdb ( or even larger ) you will get a bigger poster, MAYBE a lill bit better quality, but the filesize will explode too !
so its a sensible line you need to find to get a "good" quality, with a "good" filesize... or you will get maybe some nice looking animated poster, but because of a big filesize you will get a slower navigation through your movies...
i will continue working on animated stuff maybe when there are some strickt rules for them Smile ( sizes, TEXTLESS ! except logo and maybe 1 tagline - no release dates or all those small texts at the bottom etc... )
time will tell Wink

but all the respect to all the guys who provides their work here !!!
(2016-04-28, 09:58)schimi2k Wrote: [ -> ]problem is still the 256 colors of the gif
if you choose now the default fanart.tv size of a poster or a 1000x1500 of tmdb ( or even larger ) you will get a bigger poster, MAYBE a lill bit better quality, but the filesize will explode too !
so its a sensible line you need to find to get a "good" quality, with a "good" filesize... or you will get maybe some nice looking animated poster, but because of a big filesize you will get a slower navigation through your movies...
i will continue working on animated stuff maybe when there are some strickt rules for them Smile ( sizes, TEXTLESS ! except logo and maybe 1 tagline - no release dates or all those small texts at the bottom etc... )
time will tell Wink

but all the respect to all the guys who provides their work here !!!

I have tested with around 30 animated gifs simultanously (average size 1,5 MB each) in a iPad simulator and did not ran into any performance issues. A simulator is not as fast (the graphics part) as a real device, e.g. iPad Air or iPad Air 2.
I don't expect Kodi to have that problem either. I think it's more the hardware you are using. Most devices can play 1080p mkvs and decoding DD audio streams at the same time, so a few simple animated gifs should not be a problem, right?
But this is the experience I have...:-)

And about the animated stuff....there are still not a lot of animated gifs (movies that is) available. And there were even less if koufos didn't supply us with a lot of them.

It's now a bit of a chicken egg situation with the whole animated gifs. People don't create animated gifs because there not used a lot, and because they are not used enough, people are not interested in creating them....

A few months a ago there was not a database at all.....now there is...and voila....progress is being made.

Maybe it's better not to have strict rules (yet)....
The thing is I think this should be allowed to expand without rules right now and people who can create and want to create the animation how they want.

Rschiks, we spoke about adding a clean column to the DB, so one way we could progress in the future is if you create a clean poster i.e. image with logo only which alot of us like then when it goes into the DB the clean column would be set. Then perhaps I can talk to Marcel and he can expand the skin help to have a switch in settings for clean posters only and then he only grabs from the DB where the clean column is set? This way the DB can continue to grow when those who create posters do more and they can do them in whatever style they like and then the user controls which style of poster to show in their Kodi.

Everything is still in it's infancy and will grow and Schimi2k, if you can start creating clean ones when you can as with marcels context menu options it is quite easy to change to another animated poster at the moment and perhaps in the future like I said it can be set to only grab clean posters?

Time will tell.

S, can you send Rschiks your star wars ones so they can go into the DB as well please.

I'd love to be able to do anything on the graphics side just to help out, not only these animated posters but artwork in general although the strict rules @ fanart.tv scare me now and I don't do anything. More logos, clearart, music cds. discart is never a bad thing

@rschiks, maybe a some point the DB will have animated posters, background, banners, logos etc etc. etc. ohh wishful thinking probably?
one question on the gifs in Kodi, has anyone experienced some gifs animating far too fast? for instance the back to the future one, for me it is like it is on fast forward, the animation is just too fast? There are others as well for me that do this

Anyone have any idea why?
(2016-04-28, 19:04)Mike_Doc Wrote: [ -> ]one question on the gifs in Kodi, has anyone experienced some gifs animating far too fast? for instance the back to the future one, for me it is like it is on fast forward, the animation is just too fast? There are others as well for me that do this

Anyone have any idea why?

It's at time machine speeds ;-)
(2016-04-28, 13:27)rschiks Wrote: [ -> ]I have tested with around 30 animated gifs simultanously (average size 1,5 MB each) in a iPad simulator and did not ran into any performance issues. A simulator is not as fast (the graphics part) as a real device, e.g. iPad Air or iPad Air 2.
I don't expect Kodi to have that problem either. I think it's more the hardware you are using. Most devices can play 1080p mkvs and decoding DD audio streams at the same time, so a few simple animated gifs should not be a problem, right?
But this is the experience I have...:-)

1,5mb are okay - my posters have almost 2mb with a HALF size ( 500x713 )
i mean if we would use the full size of maybe 1000x1426 - that would give me an image of around 6mb each... and right now so many ppl are using more and more "lightweight" players like android devices and "raspberry"-kind devices ... plays a lot but low on ram... in this case a full size animated gif for poster and maybe backround could be a problem - but maybe i am wrong Wink

like i say before ... time will tell ... but at least the animated stuff is moving on Cool