Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC - Wireless problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I have searched all Internet (I thinkRolleyes) for an answer and I have tried all possible and impossible things to get my wireless network to connect to the Xbox.
Now it's no problem to reach the ftp in the EVO dashboard but as soon as I open XBMC and tries to connect to and from it nothing works. If I connect a wired cable everything works perfect! I have edited the user file to connect to the computer that will stream ans as it works perfectly with the wired cable it's correct...

I use:
XBMC v.
Windows XP SP2 (two computers)
Netgear WGE111 (wireless gaming adaptor)
Netgear WGT624v3 (router)

Ip settings as follows:
Router: 192.168.0.1
XP: 192.168.0.6
Gaming adaptor: 192.168.0.5
Laptop: DHCP
XBMC: have tried both DHCP and 192.168.0.7
All units uses 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask.

Firewalls are off and security in the router has been both off and on.

As it works with ftp in the dashboard I don't see why it won't work with streaming in XBMC!?
Is there any ports I should open for XBMC in the router? I can't open all ports (at least I can't find such an option) in the router. Is there any specific ports XBMC uses to connect and/or stream?

Please, pretty please, help me! I'm going insane!!!
Blush No one? Please, help me!
nothing special to how xbmc do networking at all.

go read a general networking tutorial
[quote=splix]Hi!
Ip settings as follows:
Router: 192.168.0.1
XP: 192.168.0.6
Gaming adaptor: 192.168.0.5
Laptop: DHCP
XBMC: have tried both DHCP and 192.168.0.7
All units uses 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask.
QUOTE]
From what I understand there are known issues with mixing DHCP with Static IP's. I think they need be consistent across the whole network or you will have connection problems with one or the other.
Quote:From what I understand there are known issues with mixing DHCP with Static IP's. I think they need be consistent across the whole network or you will have connection problems with one or the other.
No there should not be a problem a problem mixing, but I recommend using a static IP-address on the Xbox and a try to select a IP-address that if much higher up on the scope so your devices that uses DHCP don't try to take that address, like for you try 192.168.0.99, also make sure set correct gateway and DNS ip-address (on both the Xbox and you "gaming adaptor" if applicable).

By the way, have you read the manual of your "Gaming adaptor" (I assume you mean wireless bridge?) on how to configure it and the xbox?, which brand/model is it anyway?

PS! I might as well refer you this this so you know about it => http://xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.ph...ireless.29
I have a similar issue with my wireless bridge which makes me believe there is something odd with the TCP stack implementation in the software.

I have two network devices (TIVO and XBOX) at my TV plugged into a switch that runs its uplink to a wireless brigde. The TIVO has never had any issues with this setup nor did the unmodded XBOX using Xbox Live. After doing the mod, my XBMC will no longer pick up the network unless I bypass the switch.

I've looked at the ARP and DHCP packets in both modes, but I need to log them and see what's different. I suspect that with the combination of the switch and wireless brige, the packets are not providing the proper return path back to the XBOX.

Once I find out more, I'll post again. If this makes sense to anyone or if anyone has seen similar things, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris
any update on the wireless problemsHuh

Everything worked fine until I upgraded to v2.0 of XBMC. Connecting the xbmc directly to a wired switch picks up the network fine and can get up. I stick a laptop connected to the bridge and can get out, but the second I hook the xbox up to the wireless bridge, nada. This is so annoying.
Well, finally got it working. Had to use mac address filtering and turn off all wep security. This is reccommended in the wirleless networking faq