Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Inconsistent Naming Conventions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seems like naming conventions are prevalent in Kodi.

I was working with a new skin Aeon MQ5 in KODI (XBMC) and found that many of the movie layouts didn't display the artwork. My artwork is named as follows and had worked fine in Kodi 13.2 with Aeon NOX skin:

[title-art.jpg] like [2 Guns-disc.png] or [2 Guns-fanart.jpg] or [2 Guns-banner.jpg]

however, XBMC 13.2 with Aeon MQ5 expects the naming to simply be [disc.png] or [fanart.jpg] or [banner.jpg]

I even see threads in Artwork Downloader plug-in (AD) that have also caused much frustration with naming changes...

Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Are there solutions to getting a naming convention set and followed? Installing and using KODI is a never ending job, and every skin and plug-in just exacerbates the user experience...
The simple naming convention [disc.png] or [fanart.jpg] or [banner.jpg] is pretty much the standard now. I use either vimediamanager or Tiny to structure my folders and it does the work for me. I have never had to rename anything. Maybe give one of those programs a shot.
I use Meta<Browser> for all my metadata management. I can change the naming convention there and rescan in XBMC. That's not an issue. Its just the fact that I have to do this to make it work. Why can't the naming standards be maintained or at least support both...
I think you will find that the typical behavior of Aeon MQ5 is to request art using the Kodi standard infolabels, that is $INFO[ListItem.Art(art_type)] or $INFO[Player.Art(art_type)]. How Kodi populates those infolabels is not under skin control AFAIK. In some places it may call $INFO[ListItem.Thumb] or $INFO[ListItem.Icon] and there are differences in what thumb and icon can return, depending on what is available for the ListItem.

scott s.
Well, then programatically, there is a bigger issue then because the art all matches the title perfectly and simply has the type (fanart, logo, banner, etc.) as the identifier after the title. If the skin were compliant and pulling based on ListItem then it should find all the art. But it doesn't. And if its using Player.Art, then even worse because its going to use a generic label identifier such as "fanart" or "banner" which is also bogus... The application, or skin for that matter should be willing to accept the presence of the string "banner" or "fanart" or etc. whether contained with the title or all by itself. As I said, the result is a bogus user experience and excessive maintenance for the end user especially if the end user wants to try different skins, or changes preferences over time, like me. I've used confluence for a long time, then switched to Aeon NOX for the past several years, and now I'm toying with Aeon MQ. But I'm basically screwed because for the past 3-4 years I've been just fine maintaining title-arttype as a standard and its ALWAYS worked until now... Bogus...
Its up to each skin to maintain the same standards, some skins use scripts to extend their customizations of something, so if you have some issue try to address it with the relevant skin developers unless such developer comes here and clarifies to all what is going on (which I doubt) this is pretty much a shot up in the air, some loud noise.

FYI this is the supported thumbs/art types/names Thumbnails (wiki) by no means complete or maybe requires updating idk a good reference anyway.

Seems to me though the best advice is go ask the skin developer whats going on.
(2015-01-27, 22:33)JxPx Wrote: [ -> ]The simple naming convention [disc.png] or [fanart.jpg] or [banner.jpg] is pretty much the standard now. I use either vimediamanager or Tiny to structure my folders and it does the work for me. I have never had to rename anything. Maybe give one of those programs a shot.

There are in fact two official "standards", the one you mention is the simply the easiest of the two for apps support, while also being the least flexible.

The "disc.png" convention is only suitable/appropriate when single movies are in their own folders.

The alternative convention, prefixing the artwork with the movie name ie. "Avatar-fanart.jpg" is required when storing multiple movies in a single folder, but also works for single movies in their own folders.

Personally I use the latter convention as it's the most flexible, allowing me to reorganise my library from multiple movies per folder to single movies per folder with relative ease in the future (if I choose, or mix-and-match) but some addons - such as Artwork Downloader - don't yet support it.
(2015-01-28, 10:12)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-01-27, 22:33)JxPx Wrote: [ -> ]The simple naming convention [disc.png] or [fanart.jpg] or [banner.jpg] is pretty much the standard now. I use either vimediamanager or Tiny to structure my folders and it does the work for me. I have never had to rename anything. Maybe give one of those programs a shot.

There are in fact two official "standards", the one you mention is the simply the easiest of the two for apps support, while also being the least flexible.

The "disc.png" convention is only suitable/appropriate when single movies are in their own folders.

The alternative convention, prefixing the artwork with the movie name ie. "Avatar-fanart.jpg" is required when storing multiple movies in a single folder, but also works for single movies in their own folders.

Personally I use the latter convention as it's the most flexible, allowing me to reorganise my library from multiple movies per folder to single movies per folder with relative ease in the future (if I choose, or mix-and-match) but some addons - such as Artwork Downloader - don't yet support it.

While I think the two methods you mention are correct, in fact only the first method is supported by XBMC. The skins appear to not recognize much of the art when its named with the title. I too prefer the later naming convention where [title-arttype] is used. however, you'll find that the skins will not use disc and other art when so named. I discovered this when switching skins to Aeon MQ 5 as I said. Then also discovered that after reprocessing my entire library with the generic naming method, the wrong method in my opinion, the skin picked up everything and was vastly enriched. To my surprise, when I switch back to AEON NOX, the art still works, and in fact looks to be picking up more so now than when I had it [title-arttype]!

So it would appear that our preference isn't what XBMC/KODI is expecting at all...
(2015-02-01, 05:46)Toxic Man Wrote: [ -> ]While I think the two methods you mention are correct, in fact only the first method is supported by XBMC. The skins appear to not recognize much of the art when its named with the title. I too prefer the later naming convention where [title-arttype] is used. however, you'll find that the skins will not use disc and other art when so named. I discovered this when switching skins to Aeon MQ 5 as I said. Then also discovered that after reprocessing my entire library with the generic naming method, the wrong method in my opinion, the skin picked up everything and was vastly enriched. To my surprise, when I switch back to AEON NOX, the art still works, and in fact looks to be picking up more so now than when I had it [title-arttype]!

So it would appear that our preference isn't what XBMC/KODI is expecting at all...

You're confusing scrapers and skins. The only standard supported artwork types as far as the stock movie scrapers are concerned is fanart and poster. Not disc, logo, clearart etc. Skins don't load artwork, they only display artwork that has already been scraped (or they use extrafanart-type hacks to display - not scrape -artwork they find in your filesystem).

Scrapers support either naming convention, with or without titles, but only this limited subset of artwork types.

I've no idea how you got disc and other artwork into your media library (if that's where it is) but it wasn't from a stock scraper, maybe you used an add-on like Artwork Downloader.