Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Content not belonging to a category.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

Well my problem is very simple. How can I separate content that does not belong to movies.
For example i have lots of DVDs with operas and documentaries. How can I store those into Kodi without messing my movies library?
Is there a way to make a separate category like movies? For example a Documentaries category which will have all the functions and library usage that the movies category has?
I need to keep them separate from each other. Do I have to put them into the "Video" category, because that category doesn't have a library with covers etc!

Thanks
I think you have to select one of movie/tv show/music video and then use smart playlists, custom video nodes, or multiple profiles to manage how they show up in the UI.

scott s.
Operas and documentaries are still either 'movies' or 'tv shows' as far as kodi is concerned. I guess what you want to avoid is having an opera or doco show up next to your 'true' movies.

Taking just movies as an example, and forgetting tv for a moment, try this.

Two directories

Movies/ (typical content Avatar/Avatar.mkv)
Opera/ (typical content Don_Giovanni/Don_Giovanni.mkv
Documentaries/ (etc)

Now set them each up as a separate source, all movies and set a scraper and scrape them.

Then set up three smart playlists - called Films, Opera and Documentaries, the search term will be something like 'path contains Opera/'

Then find a skin that allows you to place shortcuts to smart playlists on your main screen.

Job done.
Thank you very much guys Smile
So I tried to use the smartlist feature and it didn't work.
The reason is that smartlist only works with content that has already been scraped and added to the movies list. The problem with documentaries is that 99.9% of them are not in any scraper so Kodi didn't find them to add them in the "Movies" list. As a result, smartlist can't find them to create a list based on the filters I've chosen.

Any help would be appreciated!
Can you give an example of a documentary title you have that's not in any scraper? Cause I have difficulty believing there's more than a few.
Belive me there are quite a few.... most are from free DVD's that are given from newspapers and other promos.

Well basically the point is not if I can find a certain title or not but how can I use smartlist without a video file have been Identified by a scraper...

Just a simple example. I videotape a wedding or my vacations or anything that is not a box office movie or has anything to to with one... how can I categorize it when the smartlist function doesn't work on non scrapped video files?
Easiest way is to create your own .NFO file for each custom Video (Weddings, personal videos, etc). Then you can also give them a custom Genre (Weddings, Vacations, Kids Playing, etc). So if you want to find them in Kodi, you could search by Genre, and find the one's you are looking for.
So that .nfo file will play the role of a "scraper" and the smartlist feature will start working? Can I also include thumpnail image location in .nfo so my custom movies will have a picture in the smartlist library?
Just like Movies, make sure your Custom videos are in their own individual folder, each with it's own .nfo file, then you can place your own Posters, Banners, Fanart, Thumbs etc, in that folder for each Custom video.
ok powerhouse.. thanks a lot Smile
(2015-02-03, 23:06)johny6969 Wrote: [ -> ]Belive me there are quite a few.... most are from free DVD's that are given from newspapers and other promos.

Well basically the point is not if I can find a certain title or not but how can I use smartlist without a video file have been Identified by a scraper...

Just a simple example. I videotape a wedding or my vacations or anything that is not a box office movie or has anything to to with one... how can I categorize it when the smartlist function doesn't work on non scrapped video files?
You won't be the only one with those freebie video docos. Add them to themoviedb.org. It is a community effort that we all benefit from, and should all contribute to when we can.
You might want to take a look at Media Companion in the "supplementary tools" forum. It has kind of a "pro-forma" nfo creator for "home movies" (really, any content that won't scrape), and will also capture a frame to use as the fanart.

scott s.
thanks for your help guys Big Grin