Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi crashes on boot with new LG SmartTV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance,
Just upgraded my TV from a 32" Samsung that works fine with Kodi to a 55" LG 55UB820V-ZH 4K Smart TV.
I have Kodibuntu 14.0 Helix (compiled Dec 23 2014) that I run on an HP Microserver with a Sapphire HD6450 graphics card. I have it running in persistent live mode from a USB stick. Media centre is connected to TV via HDMI cable. I have configured x11vnc to allow me to play with Kodi from my PC whilst family are watching TV.

Scenarios:
1. Boot media centre whilst connected to LG TV (my desired capability): At the point at which Kodi switches from splashscreen to media centre view, the input to the TV is lost [i.e: I can see it boot up to this point but then it dies]. Kodi seems to be hung at this point. I can not VNC into it.

2. Boot media centre whilst connected to Samsung TV: Boots fine. Accessible via VNC. Once booted, I can switch the HDMI cable to the LG TV and it works fine.

3. Boot without HDMI cable connected to anything: Boots fine. Accessible via VNC.

I noticed the error: "PulseAudio: Failed to connect context" at the end of the kodi_crashlog-... files so I've spent quite a while investigating that and trying things that have been suggested in this forum and others, but to no avail. I'm therefore unsure on whether this is the root of the problem. I don't have much else to go on.

I'm new to XBMC/Kodi and Ubuntu/Linux in general, so if you have any ideas I'd appreciate full instructions [don't assume I know how to do anything!]

Thanks again
Update: Following further investigation, I think the system is either failing at the OS boot level, before the kodi media centre itself is started, or right at the point kodi is started.
I think this because I turned on debugging in Kodi but find that no kodi.log is created when I boot whilst connected to the new LG Smart TV. One is created when connected to the old Samsung TV.

Nothing obviously pointing to an irrecoverable failure when I run dmesg but I'll admit I'm not really sure what to look for and given that I can only get to the command prompt to run dmesg after a successful boot, presumably it's not a particularly useful thing to look at anyway. Is there a way to look at the logs for previous boot attempts in the way kodi.old.log allows?

If someone can help me debug this, it would be much appreciated.