Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android zero cache / external sd card questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, so this is my first post on the forum, had some questions! I am using kodi version 14.0
So I have Kodi on my laptop , Nvidia Table, and HTC One M8. On the laptop i use a hardline connection with download speeds of 45mbps.
Recently I went into system tweaks and tried the zero cache option. My 1080p movies pretty much fully buffer within minutes, which is just awesome
So I got the Nvidia Tablet to pretty much have a bigger mobile viewing screen for my movies when i'm on the go. So when I try say a 720p tv episode like Family Guy I will pause it till it says cache full, which is not a lot of buffering, maybe 2 minutes worth till it starts glitching and I have to pause again. So I was wandering if it would be okay to use the Zero Cache feature on my tablet? I have 16gb internal storage ( 8.66gb Free) and 64gb class 10 external sd card.
Is there a way to relocate the cache to my external sd card or something? And is there a difference between going to settings>apps>Kodi>clear cache, and going to advanced setting in the kodi application and clearing cache?

Any help clearing this up would be great!

OH ALSO. When i watch videos on my mobile devices and I get a notification, I swipe down to view that notification but often my video will restart, due to the swipe left gesture. Is there a way to disable the swipe gestures while watching videos?
I'm going to throw you a bone here and remove the mention of the add-on from our banned add-ons (wiki) list.

Normal video caching is just a way to prevent the video from pausing to buffer all the time, but it won't make a slowly loading video load any faster. Sometimes adjusting the cache does help people who are "on the edge" of just being fast enough, or have fluctuations in the connection speed, but it won't be a miracle worker.

The shield tablet has 2 GB of RAM, so the first thing I would do is just increase the amount of RAM it uses rather than use the zero/local drive option: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_...#Example_4

See if that works. It is possible to use the SD card for the "zero"/local drive cache, but that takes a few more steps (that I keep forgetting to post online) and involves moving all of the settings for Kodi to the SD card.

As for any add-ons/apps that clear cache, I can't really help you with those. The only ones I know about are used to clear a different kind of playback cache that is specific to only certain kinds of add-ons, which violate our forum rules (wiki).

For swiping, you can create a plain text file called "touch.xml" and place it in userdata (wiki)/keymaps/ and cut/paste the following into it:

Code:
<keymap>
  <fullscreenvideo>
    <touch>
      <swipe direction="down">noop</swipe>
    </touch>
  </fullscreenvideo>
</keymap>

"noop" means "no operation", which will disable down swipes when a video is playing back.
I appreciate the response! I want to try to increase the amount of ram it uses.. but how exactly do i go about that? Would I copy the example 4 and make a change to it, and then put it into my userdata? Same with trying the touch.xml. I haven't edited an xml before.
I want to try the swipe first to make sure i edit it correctly, So if you could put the steps into noob form for me that would be great.
On my laptop I found a touchscreen.xml file where I can see the swipe direction and where i would put noop. So do I just edit it in a notepad and place it in a folder labeled keymaps inside of userdata?
They're just plain text files, so yeah, I believe Notepad should work just fine. I would make a new file instead of editing the existing file that you found, as that is most likely Kodi's default touch map. Maps placed in the userdata/Keymaps folder will override the default.