Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to start Kodi from desktop with remote only.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys

I am trying to figure out how to start Kodi from desktop with remote only. Remote is RC6 compatible (RC 197) but I can use iMON if necessary.
Please, NO KEYBOARD, NO MOUSE. Remote only.
Is it possible? To start WMC I have dedicated button on remote. Can I assign lets say yellow button to start Kodi?

Any help will be appreciated.
If you are using windows, I recommend Auto-Hotkey. and use something like this for your script.
Code:
#IfWinActive, ahk_class Kodi
^+m::
SendInput {s}
return
#IfWinActive

IfWinNotExist, Kodi.exe
    Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe else
return
Just remember to change ^+m to whatever the button press you wish on your remote is

but if you are using Kodibuntu or Openelec I would recommend using Wake-On LAN. (Only need to use your tablet or phone for this part)
Now this can only be used on a wired connection, but will boot the system into Kodi
If it is IR remote, and I believe it is, you can use a USB dongle called Flirc (google is your friend).
Flirc translates an IR signal into a key stroke signal in the PC. Kodi can be operated by a keyboard only, viz.wiki keyboard map, so there you are. Tried that, works.
(2015-02-03, 07:35)isamu.dragon Wrote: [ -> ]If you are using windows, I recommend Auto-Hotkey. and use something like this for your script.
Code:
#IfWinActive, ahk_class Kodi
SendInput {s}
return
#IfWinActive

IfWinNotExist, Kodi.exe
    Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe else
return
Just remember to change ^+m to whatever the button press you wish on your remote is

but if you are using Kodibuntu or Openelec I would recommend using Wake-On LAN. (Only need to use your tablet or phone for this part)
Now this can only be used on a wired connection, but will boot the system into Kodi
Thanks for suggestion. I think it may work.
Sorry that I didn't provide enough information in the first step.
Yes, I use WIN7 64 as a platform and I want to use remote control because I want to be able to use systems like Crestron, URC or similar to control whole home theater including HTPC with Kodi.
Everything works perfect, but KODI doesn’t stay on top all the times like WMC and there is no dedicated button for Kodi like green button for WMC, so I like to create one and implement it in whole system. If Kodi minimizes for some reason, one button will put it back – maximized.
I found also info about Registry remapping. I will follow these leads.
Thanks a lot
ZW
I think that I found very simple solution.
I have one remote with T button, probably teletext in Europe. I assigned this key to Kodi and problem solved.
Kodi starts every time I press this button.
Very simple and takes 10 second to program.
Regards
ZW
(2015-02-04, 23:53)PerfectHT Wrote: [ -> ]Everything works perfect, but KODI doesn’t stay on top all the times
Have you tried to change System > Video Output > Display Mode to Fullscreen? That should prevent other apps jumping on top of Kodi. At least I don't have that problem with Kodi not staying on top.
Try this, my treatment of the big green button in AHK.

Modify the paths and keyboard entry. It will start XBMC if it's not running, and maximise and give it focus if it's running but minimised, or doesn't have focus.

Code:
^+W::
ifWinExist ahk_class XBMC
{    ;msgbox "BigGreenButton"
    WinActivate
    WinGet, maximized, MinMax, %title%
    if (maximized) {
        WinRestore, %title%
        WinMaximize, %title%
    }    
    else {
        WinMaximize
    }
}
else
{
    run "D:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\XBMC.exe"
    WinActivate
    WinMaximize
}
(2015-02-06, 01:38)frogthroat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-04, 23:53)PerfectHT Wrote: [ -> ]Everything works perfect, but KODI doesn’t stay on top all the times
Have you tried to change System > Video Output > Display Mode to Fullscreen? That should prevent other apps jumping on top of Kodi. At least I don't have that problem with Kodi not staying on top.
Yes, it is full screen on all my systems.
Nothing jumps on top of Kodi, unless I start WMC. (Then Kodi is minimized. After closing WMC - Kodi stays minimized) Sometimes, something happens that Kodi is minimized, but yellow button helps to maximize it.
But sometimes I have to quit Kodi and want to start it without restarting windows. Want to start it by pressing button or buttons. (I can create macro)