Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HEVC hardware decoding (GX960)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have just put together a HTPC after rediscovering XBMC *kodi* recently. What a surprise it was to see what massive strides this software had made since the days when I had it on my chipped XBOX many years ago, really impressed!

I had bought a Samsung UE55F9000 panel prior to this and had always intended to buy the new one connect box for it one day to allow for HEVC etc, but my HTPC now should decode it in hardware and feed my panel 24p 4k . I mostly watch movies.

I have a question for the forum. I chose the Nvidia GTX960 over the 970 as it offers the killer feature of HEVC accelerated hardware decoding thus negating my televisions shortcomings in not supporting this codec. I have tested it with 4k h.264 and am very pleased with the results. I thought I would test the HEVC decoding through Kodi and ended up with a slideshow. Looking at the system utilization I saw that the cpu was getting a hammering, leading me to believe that the decoding was being done in software/CPU.

Can anyone clarify to me what the situation is with HEVC hardware decoding? I understand some versions of Kodi have limited support but Windows does not. Are their any future plans for support?

Thanks
As far as I/m aware V14.1 and V.15 natively have support.
Link: HEVC
Do you have hardware decoding on?
But only very limited hardware decoding support, and mostly just for Android, IIRC. I don't know if any of the x86 (desktop) based systems have hardware decoding support in mainline yet?
There is no HW decoding support for HEVC on x86 yet.
HEVC hardware acceleration is possible in Windows applications on x86 using DXVA, however from a Kodi point of view the necessary HEVC DXVA decoding (what's required for Windows hardware acceleration) hasn't been added to ffmpeg (the internal decode library we use) yet for us to advantage of.
Thanks for your response.

Looking forward to trying this feature when it arrives.
Apparently LAV filters supports hardware HEVC decoding. You might want to give that a try with launching MPC-HC as an external player from Kodi.
I would suggest this combination (MPC-BE + madVR + Kodi):
HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player.

Why buy a GX960 if you're not going to let it flex it's muscles? madVR is the only way I know how to do it properly.

MediaBrowser also allows for this combination, but if you're partial to Kodi, I would never go back to the default player, and my graphics card is a measly GTS 450.
(2015-02-06, 06:23)Warner306 Wrote: [ -> ]I would suggest this combination (MPC-BE + madVR + Kodi):
HOW TO - Launch MPC-HC/MPC-BE with madVR as an External Player.

Why buy a GX960 if you're not going to let it flex it's muscles? madVR is the only way I know how to do it properly.

MediaBrowser also allows for this combination, but if you're partial to Kodi, I would never go back to the default player, and my graphics card is a measly GTS 450.

Thank You Warner306, will use it for 4k acceleration