Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need Help With A Build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to build a server and be able to run 1080p perfectly in two rooms at the same time. I would be starting from scratch since my current htpc is junk minus the 4 hard drives I have.

For the server:
-I would like it to hold at least 10 drives
-It would only be playing media
-No netflix or services like it
-Be able to run it in at least 2 different rooms at the same time

For the Clients:
-Be able to play 1080p perfectly

I have cat 6 ran through out the house.

So my question is, is what hardware and software do I need for the server and clients?

Any help would be very appreciated.
Have you look into a NAS+Kodi clients? If you haven't, consider that option.
If you get the correct NAS, it can be years before you have to touch it again for upgrades.
With Kodi clients, it might be no more than 1year, the way things are changing.

The most popular choices for client hardware these days are: AFTV and Chromeboxes. Also look into the AFTV Stick.

Also read this sticky thread on first page:
Advice on Kodi Boxes, NASes, and Hard Drives- FireTVs, Chromeboxes, ARM Sticks, etc.
I am a HUGE fan of a FreeNAS or an Unraid server for the box that holds 10 drives. Either will deliver 1080p to two rooms- I have done four at once with my Unraid box. The difference between the two comes down to if you are willing to purchase all the 10 HDs at once (FreeNAS) or you want to have an array that you can add to over time (Unraid).

For the clients I would get Chromeboxes. That is the guaranteed will work solution. If that is too much let us know client needs (aka do you need HD audio? or 3D? etc) and we can maybe recommend cheaper clients.
Thanks for the responses.
I won't be able to buy all the drives at once. It will be a few at a time.
the chromebox isnt to much for my budget. Does it play 1080p files well?
A celeron Chromebox running Openelec plays 1080p perfectly with all the bells and whistles- HD audio bitstreaming, refresh rate matching, etc. It takes some fringe stuff (like high bitrate 1080p Hi10p or 4K HEVC or other stuff that is really rare) to put the hurt on a Chromebox. I have over 50000 video files and it can play 99.99% of them perfectly. It is a media machine, and really is the perfect box for this hobby.

A Chromebox can also load any plugin, the best skins, a HUGE library, and works great with many different control setups. Seriously most of the threads on this forum are basically answered by getting a Chromebox. Is the Kodi machine.

The ONLY issue is it takes a little setup, but thankfully that is all documented here because of amazing people:

http://kodi.wiki/view/ASUS_Chromebox#Device_Preparation

Chromeboxes client connecting to an Unraid server is the strongest recommendation I can make for what you are doing. On the server you can run the MySQL to keep the libraries in sync, plus anything else.
I am sold on the chromebox, will be picking up a couple of them.
What hardware do I need for a Unraid server?
(2015-02-07, 07:39)skippy1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am sold on the chromebox, will be picking up a couple of them.
What hardware do I need for a Unraid server?

http://tiseostudios.com/unraid-server/
thanks for all the help