Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First Build Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

First Post, new to the forum although I have done a lot of reading and research before I finally spit out my first post...

Newbie to the whole topic especially with the recent Apple TV2 changes. I have always done my research pertaining to that device...
My devices are Apple so I was going to keep it in the family but now I need help...

I am looking for a couple options and some direction: I want a device that would inevitably replace cable, I pay 200 for it and watch 20 mins a day if that at all with the content that I have. I am mostly an avid Sports Watcher, DvR'er, etc. I want a device that can get me a full a package as possible. Channels, Live Sports, Movies. all in HD w/ 3D content if possible. Most of the channels I watch are like ESPN, HBO, Showtime, then live broadcasts of SportsI find on sites like VIPbox .

Finally ready to learn and invest in such a project. Any and all direction would be much appreciated!
So you want to mix Kodi with traditional distribution platforms for media (IE: Watch ESPN, HBO Go, etc.)?

That is a FireTV.

It is limited as a Kodi box, and it doesn't get EVERY streaming platform, but it is as good as we have in a single device.
Well put it this way... if more than just "one device" or piece of equipment would be necessary to achieve my goal, or as close to it as possible, I'm totally open to that too. I'm just new to this whole technology sector personally b/c I've always had pretty much everything between Cable and internet sources on the Mac linked to the TV by HDMI and did minor research into a JB Apple TV 2/ Kodi. I'm all ears and thanks a ton for the response.
Do you have any game consoles? A PS3 would change my advice.
Suggestions with two devices:

- cheap Amazon Fire TV with included remote for those Online streaming Channels

then either:

- Chromebox or a RPi2 (both running Openelec) for superior Kodi video streaming purposes.

The RPi2 has HDMI CEC control and you may not even have to buy a remote control to operate it if your TV is compatible.
A cheap Flirc USB dongle is an option as well as this will allow you to program any spare IR remote you may have lying around. Another option is a cheap Bluetooth PS3 compatible remote, which works well too.

Smile
First off thanks a ton for the responses so far...

I have a PS3 and PS4... Can Fire TV be modded (rooted I'm assuming) like how JailBreak gave you everything on the ATV2?
The chrome box would be for purposes like 4K streaming? What else is AFTV missing that the Chromebox would provide? Starting to Grasp life after the ATV2 lol.

(2015-02-07, 00:20)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have any game consoles? A PS3 would change my advice.

(2015-02-07, 05:00)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Suggestions with two devices:

- cheap Amazon Fire TV with included remote for those Online streaming Channels

then either:

- Chromebox or a RPi2 (both running Openelec) for superior Kodi video streaming purposes.

The RPi2 has HDMI CEC control and you may not even have to buy a remote control to operate it if your TV is compatible.
A cheap Flirc USB dongle is an option as well as this will allow you to program any spare IR remote you may have lying around. Another option is a cheap Bluetooth PS3 compatible remote, which works well too.

Smile
Chromebox and Raspberry Pi 2 significantly outperform the Fire TV when it comes to video and audio replay. The Fire's main advantage is the non-Kodi stuff like Amazon and Netflix streaming.

The FireTV doesn't offer dynamic refresh rate switching (important if you are in a 50Hz country in Europe, Aus/NZ, large chunks of Asia etc.) and isn't great with interlaced content (I believe it may now have basic bob support?) The Chromebox has full refresh rate switching (including 23.976Hz), HD Audio bitstreaming (the Pi will decode True HD to PCM and bitstream the DTS core of DTS HD MA), and the Chromebox has Motion Compensated deinterlacing (very good quality), whilst the Pi has good quality de-interlacing for SD and Bob for HD (which is better than nothing)
(2015-02-07, 16:54)EAChronic Wrote: [ -> ]I have a PS3 and PS4...

Good. I might consider letting them do the Netflix, HBO Go, ESPN and other "mainstream" streaming sources like that. A PS3/4 has more options than even a FireTV

Quote:Can Fire TV be modded (rooted I'm assuming) like how JailBreak gave you everything on the ATV2?

What we have to do on these other boxes is get Kodi or Openelec on there somehow.

Quote:The chrome box would be for purposes like 4K streaming? What else is AFTV missing that the Chromebox would provide?

The Chromebox is just a better HTPC device period. It can play more files, and play them better (aka correctly in 24p). The FireTV is a stopgap for those who want Kodi and services like Netflix on the same box, but the Chromebox is a much better Kodi solution overall.

Given that you have Sony game consoles I recommend you use those for the mainstream streaming and Blu Ray playback and then you get a Chomebox to handle all the Kodi stuff. They you are rocking the best case scenario, and what so many of us other cord cutters have.

The ONLY issue with a Chromebox is you have to go through a technical process to get it setup, but you were ready to do a Jailbreak anyway. Here are the instructions:

http://kodi.wiki/view/ASUS_Chromebox#Device_Preparation

If that doesn't look daunting to you I feel really good recommending that solution.
Thanks a ton for the info guys and your continued responses poof!
@poofyhairguy, not to put too fine a point on this, maybe an edit above is in order..

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

ya don't want to be setting a bad example now Wink

Its just cause I care about the forum and Kodi Smile
(2015-02-07, 19:43)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]@poofyhairguy, not to put too fine a point on this, maybe an edit above is in order..

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

ya don't want to be setting a bad example now Wink

Its just cause I care about the forum and Kodi Smile

You are 100% correct, an edit was in order. I really appreciate you pointing that out. I don't want to set a bad example.

I appreciate being called out when I am wrong. That is how we all learn.
Sorry for the late bump, things got in the way of my build but I am finally ready to tackle the project.

I am going to go buy a Asus Chromebox today,

Asus Chromebox M004U will work well right?
(2015-09-08, 20:23)EAChronic Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for the late bump, things got in the way of my build but I am finally ready to tackle the project.

I am going to go buy a Asus Chromebox today,

Asus Chromebox M004U will work well right?

yes, there's no Chromebox model available now that won't work well / perfectly
Thanks Matt!