Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: kodi's dvdplayer cannot play part 2 of a movie if external player exists
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I'm in a need of a little help here and it would be greatly appreciated if someone knew solution.

My issue in short: Is it possible to select which part of a stacked movie, disc1 or disc2, kodi's dvdplayer plays if external player is used as a default player?

Longer story:
I have "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012).3D disk1.iso" and "The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey (2012).3D disk2.iso" stored in media server. The movie is stacked in Kodi's library, thus the whole movie is shown as one list item as I want. Usually mpc-hc is my choice with movies, but mpc-hc doesn't support 3d blu-rays nor it can pick the 2d stream from mvc. That's too pitty. So with 3d blu-rays I use powerdvd as a default. However, every now and then when there are more visitors than 3d classes I want to use 2d instead of 3d and then I'd like to use Kodi's dvdplayer. The UI of powerdvd is horrible if something needs to be changed like video stream. Default behavior of powerdvd is to choose 3d stream. So powedvd is no no with 2d. Powerdvd breaks the flow of movie theater experience.

Unfortunately it seems i cannot pick the second part of the movie and use dvdplayer. When i press "c" in video library to pop up the menu and select "Play part...", I can select part 2 yes but after selection of part 2 there's no way to choose which player I want to use. Instead the default player is used. In my case powerdvd.

If i select "Play using..." I can select which player but then I always end up watching the part 1 because there's no way to select which part of the movie. Is there something I don't just get or is this impossible at the moment?

Only way to use dvdplayer to play part 2 of the movie is to change the playercorefactory.xml so that dvdplayer is the default instead of powerdvd. But that's quite impractical. And in addition, too difficult for other users.

Can this be done other way? By small (or heavy if needed) skin modification? Tinkering is actually fun (when there's solution) so don't hesitate to suggest more complex solutions.
Transparency is my current skin and kodi 14.1 stable.

Any one else having this issue?
Make a very small addon that changes playercorefactory.xml at the press of a button?
aww so no easy way to solve this. I was afraid of that Smile. Thank you for your reply, anyway.
I have no experience of real coding languages but well ... maybe it's about time to start learning, at least a little bit. Python would be appropriate language right?
It would be the only language.