Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bit of direction needed with first HTPC build.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After looking around the net a lot, i can't seem to find what i want without it costing a fortune, so i have decided to have a bash at building an HTPC.

Not going to go into too much detail right now but would appreciate some pointers to sites that can give me some guidance in how to get started and where the best places are to learn from and buy the relevant parts.

I'm in the UK.

Thanks.
Probably a good idea to give us your requirements in a bit of detail. Otherwise we'll probably just reply with 'Buy a Chromebox' or 'Buy a BI320'!
(2015-02-07, 13:28)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]Probably a good idea to give us your requirements in a bit of detail. Otherwise we'll probably just reply with 'Buy a Chromebox' or 'Buy a BI320'!

Already considered those two options and decided that i would like to build something just as an interesting project. I thought it a good idea to first get some idea of direction before people started recommending stuff that i had no idea about.

But as you asked...................................

I would like to build a desktop media player for music and video, with the ability to play live hd tv, but can live without that or possibly look at adding that function later. I would like Windows 8 (or 7) operating system and be able to rip and store CD's to flac using dbpoweramp for play back through my HiFi.

My current set up is an Acer Revo which i will retire for other purposes, to which i have an attached usb LG optical drive and WD 1TB HDD and also a Squeezebox Touch with the Logitech interface on my PC. Everything is connected to my amplifier and speakers for music play back and to my TV for Kodi duties and as a PC monitor.

I would like to replace my large floorstanding KEF speakers for smaller active speakers, which would mean i could also sell on the Arcam amp and this is where the new media player would live, so something nice looking is the first requirement. A decent sized case would help because i would like something i can add to if needed in the future and because i would like plenty of space to work in. I don't do fiddly.

So i need a nice case and all the parts to get this thing up and running. I only store music files, so will not be needing massive storage. The WD HDD will take care of that if needed and i also don't need an optical drive but am willing to replace any and everything if it is better to have it all in one box. They are also usb 2 and maybe i ought to be going usb 3 now. I would like to keep the Squeezebox because it produces excellent sound, but again would consider selling that on if i could do things simpler with possibly a DAC attached to the media player.

Having had a bit of a scan round the net, AMD is a name that keeps cropping up for the CPU/GPU needs as a bang for buck option? I'm a bit confused on the whole software acceleration v hardware acceleration debate. I have seen some ready made devices around that come pre-configured with software but they are £600/£700 to buy. I am getting into the realms of the unknown with what components are needed for me until i do a bit of research, which is why i asked for some links to places i could do a bit of investigation.

So i want a music and video player with kodi on a windows OS, with live HDTV thrown in (not a must) in a case that looks like a piece of HIFI equipment, rather than a small form factor unit shoved behind the TV. I don't really have a budget in mind. It costs what it costs and will be usable for good long while hopefully.
Well that thread died a death.

Thought it would make a change from "what's the best kodi box" ?
it all depend your requirement, but for me i build my HTPC is just for hd movie, so here my built:

intel i3 4130 (was bought AMD A10 7700k but it have compatible problem with my plasma tv so i changed to intel)
Asus h97m-e mobo (with HDMI out)
8gb ram
a small form factor casing
and few HDD

i have a AV receiver to process the audio and video before connect to my plasma tv.

hope above help u abit.
(2015-02-08, 11:05)chchia Wrote: [ -> ]it all depend your requirement, but for me i build my HTPC is just for hd movie, so here my built:

intel i3 4130 (was bought AMD A10 7700k but it have compatible problem with my plasma tv so i changed to intel)
Asus h97m-e mobo (with HDMI out)
8gb ram
a small form factor casing
and few HDD

i have a AV receiver to process the audio and video before connect to my plasma tv.

hope above help u abit.

Yes that does help thanks. I'm currently deciding between intel and AMD and didn't know there may be compatibility issues. I have an LCD TV but also a plasma, so good info. I'll check it out. I'm only interested in 2 channel sound so a simple amp will suffice for me, or active monitors as i am leaning toward.

I'm sure i read on here that AMD + windows is a good match, is that correct or did i dream that?
My htpc is a4-5700 with 4 GB of ram and it works very good at fullhd resolution.
(2015-02-08, 16:46)Xeus32 Wrote: [ -> ]My htpc is a4-5700 with 4 GB of ram and it works very good at fullhd resolution.

Thanks, give me some idea of speed needed.