Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NAS Backup Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is my setup:
Chromebox //WD MyCloud 4TB // WD My Passport 2TB //Laptop

I use my cloud only as a backup, as I don't want to ever have my vids buffer. My network is great, but...
So, I use my Passport as my primary video source plugged into my Chromebox.

If I have a new video, movie, home vid, whatever... in order to put it on the passport and cloud, I have to either send it to the cloud (takes about 2min) and to the chromebox thru xbmc (takes about 8min) or the cloud and plug the passport into my laptop each time (1min).

I haven't done a backup in a while, so I wanted all 2tb from my drive to my cloud and I'll deal with the little lag over the network each time I copy files. However, I don't know what the best way to transfer 2tb is.

A) Plug my HD into my laptop, laptop into router, copy paste. Each file takes about 1GB file takes about 1min. Doing my whole library works for about 5hrs, then freezes, and then I have to scour folders to see what didn't transfer properly.

B) Plug HD into Cloud. Laptop into Router, transfer. Same result. I wasnt sure if I could plug my drive and cloud together to transfer quickly, but it works IF my laptop is plugged into the router.

C) HD into Cloud. Laptop into nothing. Issue transfer command. THIS takes about 30min per file. I don't get why issuing the transfer command while NOT plugged into the router should be any different than B. Both times my HD is plugged into the cloud. It's like, since my laptop was on wifi, it's transferring it over the wifi or something, but there's no need to. Even with my Laptop plugged into the cloud, nothing is plugged into the laptop...it's nuts.

Sooo... what do I do? There has to be a more efficient way to handle this process.

I also tried using the mycloud app/ program and that was miserable.

Anyone have a suggestion? I know most people here use a cloud/NAS of some sort. I've heard bad things about using the MyCloud, but in a year, it's actually worked amazing. I thought of getting a normal NAS, but I didn't see the benefit as I wanted an app for everyone to be able to use.

I'd be grateful of any suggestions/assistance!
Also, if something is deleted off a NAS, is it just gone forever? You don't get much of a warning if you have fat fingers Smile
WD My Cloud not a normal NAS!!!!Huh Oh my gosh!!! lol. The My Cloud is a NAS, whether is has Raid is another story.
NAS = Network Access Storage, and yes it is more than capable of streaming via LAN, of course depends on your specific needs.

I seriously suggest you give network share a chance to view videos. That is my 100% setup with a WD My Book Live and have 0 issues, it has been as such for 3 years now.

Anyhow, best way to copy 2TB, look into rsync on Mac and Linux (My Cloud runs Debian Lenny), or Robocopy for Windows.
Also look for folder-sync programs if the two above are too complex.
I guess I mean...other...nas. It just seems that others swear by custom systems rather than the mycloud.
My Kodi well read from everything in my house. I just like having a plug and a backup on WiFi.
Checking robocopy now. I just don't get why I can't just plug a dive into the mycloud and copy. I always have to have a laptop plugged in or have super slow wifi transfers. Either way, it still just freezes and misses cover art out videos from tons of folders.

Thanks for the good info! I hope to get this mess sorted soon!