Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What are your custom Kodi movie genre's?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm curious as to what custom genre's you guys use for your movies (if any). It could give others ideas on good ways to categorize their movies. Plus I just think it would be interesting to see. I'll start..

Found Footage - Self explanatory
Water Terror - movies like: Jaws, Anaconda, Placid Lake, Open Water, etc..
Vampire - Self explanatory
Zombie - Self explanatory
Coming Of Age - Movies like: Moonrise Kingdom, Stand by Me, Boyhood, Now and Then, etc..
Grindhouse - Basically most movies by Quentin Tarantino, Robert Rodriguez, some Rob Zombie movies, the movie Bitch Slap, etc...
Period Piece - Any movie that is in the Victorian Age (Or there abouts) that specifically focuses on the era.
Dance - Things like the Step Up movies.
Swords and Sandals - Any movie that deals with the Roman Empire
Sword & Sorcery - Movies that specifically deal with a fantasy setting, ie Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Conan movies, Scorpion King movies etc...
Splatter - Movies like the Saw series, Hostel series, basically Horror movies that are over the top gore.
Boarding School - Movies like the St. Trinian's movies, Dead Poets Society, December Boys, The Moth Diaries etc...
I would say that's pretty custom alright. I kinda follow the genre's that IMDB set's up with a few exceptions, e.g. shorts, TV documentaries, clips, B&W, Classics (older than 1959 must be in colour), Comic Book Movies, Box Sets, Martial Arts, Super Hero's, and Travel. I've broken up science fiction into two folders (Space and Sci-Fi ) it was getting terribly large.

I utilize smart play-lists a lot with most of those 'very custom' collections that don't fit into boxed sets but I want to keep together in some fashion.
I totally just stole your "Space" genre, good idea! I also use all the genres that the Ember media manager provides as well ie Monsters, Super Heroes, etc...
Classics is a good idea too!
I use/include "Japanese" for all the tv shows and movies I have. (mainly for the Mrs)

This way she can just jump straight into her language without have to scroll through the western stuff.
hope this is not too stupid a question.
how are you making use of custom genre's?
are you manually editing a .nfo file or some other process?

i am using ViMediaManager on mac and it pulls genre info from imdb i think.
i find using the genre lists based upon imdb all but useless.
their idea of what is scifi and mine are often not even close.

thanks
I use Ember Media Manager (windows). This app allow you to create your own genres and add them to your movies as you wish. So I allow ember to pull the genres from imdb (or where ever) and if it's Japanese I manually add it.
thanks i will look into what ViMediaManager offers and will look into ember also.
Scrappers put in multiple genre's for a single movie so it can appear in multiple lists on a genre search. This is great and Kodi does a wonderful job of listing movies based on this. But for my own organization and not to have huge flat file source directories/folders, I've elected to create about 35 source folders and named them to find files fast without having to use a Kodi search. When I pick up new movies, I slot them according to the obvious genre, and if it's not so obvious, I toss it in a likely spot for further research or after I have watched it. This gives my 'video' file-mode a useful area to browse, and the smaller folders facilitate speedy listings. This allows me to keep certain drives dormant, if I'm not into specific films, then spin it up as needed, the library is still intact.
those are some great ideas.
thanks
Do you use your own gerne images/pictures for that? Could you provide them? e.g. "Martial Arts" or "Zobmie"