Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WMC remote in Ubuntu/Chromebox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently installed Ubuntu+Kodi on my Asus Chromebox, and I am using a Rosewill RRC-126 WMC remote to control Kodi. I installed lirc, and the remote works fine with Kodi. The problem is, whenever I exit Kodi, the remote does not seem to do anything in Ubuntu. I tested it using irw in a command window, and it seems to recognize all the commands. I would like to be able to do things like control Netflix via Netflixbmc, or restart Kodi if it exited without having to resort to using a keyboard. I searched all the forums and wikis, and everything seems to indicate that this should work, but I get no response on the desktop or other apps with the remote, even though irw says that things are working.
You need a Flirc. Seriously.

Everyone who wants to control more than kodi with a remote needs a Flirc.
I already have several Rosewill remotes that I used for Windows builds, and was hoping I did not need to replace them and/or buy additional hardware when I upgrade them to Chromeboxes.
you need a mce receiver. I got a hp one for £8 on ebay
(2015-02-07, 20:28)pcdude Wrote: [ -> ]I already have several Rosewill remotes that I used for Windows builds, and was hoping I did not need to replace them and/or buy additional hardware when I upgrade them to Chromeboxes.

You don't need new remotes, you need a new IR receiver. As you found out those Rosewill ones send media commands and not keyboard commands. That is fine for Kodi, but outside that in Ubuntu you need keyboard commands. That is the exact reason Flirc was created.

You can use all the old remotes you have easily with one.

I fought buying one for a while then last year I got one and fixed everything in five minutes. Now I have five. They are crucial to having a completely remote driven device if you want complications like Netflix, Steam or emulators. Heck I use them with Windows boxes too.
(2015-02-07, 20:52)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-07, 20:28)pcdude Wrote: [ -> ]I already have several Rosewill remotes that I used for Windows builds, and was hoping I did not need to replace them and/or buy additional hardware when I upgrade them to Chromeboxes.

You don't need new remotes, you need a new IR receiver. As you found out those Rosewill ones send media commands and not keyboard commands. That is fine for Kodi, but outside that in Ubuntu you need keyboard commands. That is the exact reason Flirc was created.

You can use all the old remotes you have easily with one.

I fought buying one for a while then last year I got one and fixed everything in five minutes. Now I have five. They are crucial to having a completely remote driven device if you want complications like Netflix, Steam or emulators. Heck I use them with Windows boxes too.

Thanks, I'll look into it.