Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Does such a device exist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Requirements:

Netflix
HBO Go
Live TV through Kodi and HDHomerun
Decoding 1080i streams, including deinterlacing

I have tried to run a Fire TV, but quickly found out that it couldn't deinterlace live TV from the HDHomerun. I have looked at some Amlogic Android boxes, and they seem to have the same issues.
Of course there is if you want to run Win 8.1...

Netflix via the free Win 8.1 app
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/...d1ae5b13fa

HBO Go via a Web Browser

Live/PVR TV backend server software, take your pick of many...
http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_backend#Windows

1080i deinterlacing via Kodi and a corresponding TV client add-on...

a Zotac BI320 - Bing version would do that plus you can add an extra 2.5" HDD or SSD internally.

Windows Media Centre was included on various Win 7 versions but is now a payed upgrade with Win 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windo...ter/get-it
(2015-02-09, 10:16)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Of course there is if you want to run Win 8.1...

Netflix via the free Win 8.1 app
http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/...d1ae5b13fa

HBO Go via a Web Browser

Live/PVR TV backend server software, take your pick of many...
http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_backend#Windows

1080i deinterlacing via Kodi and a corresponding TV client add-on...

a Zotac BI320 - Bing version would do that plus you can add an extra 2.5" HDD or SSD internally.

Windows Media Centre was included on various Win 7 versions but is now a payed upgrade with Win 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windo...ter/get-it

I would like to avoid using browsers/mice, if possible. I am running Windows in my living room, and it is annoying having to get out the keyboard and mouse for hbo go. I am already setup with a backend.
Well it definitely would have helped if you could have stated that in the first place !

Personally I would not rely at this point in time on one media device to do everything. Most of the Android platforms either have deinterlacing problems, 23.976fps issues or still don't refresh rate switch, the Wetek Play seems to be making good progress however and deinterlaces well.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1916382

I suggest devices with HDMI CEC control. Usability goes like this. Chromecast + RPi. When the screen saver cuts in on the RPi, it goes to standby and tries to turn the TV off. If I'm watching Netflix the TV is unaffected.

I then finish watching Netflix, press the BT Remote connected to the RPi and the TV autoswitches inputs and we are back in Kodi. I start Netflix again and another autoswitch. Operating this way is even quicker than navigating a home page TV interface.

Even an Amazon Fire TV stick (HBO Go soon I believe) + a RPi2 would suit your needs. Just make sure the AFTV stick can autoswitch TV inputs.

As you have found you end up making too many compromises in regards to video quality, 24p + more, trying to do all you require on the one device.
Just buy Cheap devices with well sorted firmware and HDMI CEC that does the job required correctly.
I have nearly the same requirements that OP has, and a cost effective (but still family friendly) solution was to use Fire TV stick + Raspberry Pi 2. My Pi 2 came in recently and does live TV from the HDHomerun like a champ.

The biggest issue (that could so easily be solved by Netflix if they got their act together) is that the Fire TV and Fire TV stick are the only Android-based products with a 100% remote control friendly Netflix client. Netflix on other devices is about 80% remote control friendly (great up until you try to select an individual TV show episode..).

In the near future I plan on setting up a transcoding server for the HDHomerun which will take care of deinterlacing, and then any TV can use just the Fire TV stick. Interlaced video can't die fast enough...
If you don't like browsers then Netflix has an app in Windows 8.1 which works pretty well (and gives you DD+ audio, unlike the browser I believe)
(2015-02-10, 01:58)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't like browsers then Netflix has an app in Windows 8.1 which works pretty well (and gives you DD+ audio, unlike the browser I believe)

Is it remote control friendly? I keep trying different stuff and I can't get it to work with a remote control.
(2015-02-10, 02:58)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]
(2015-02-10, 01:58)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't like browsers then Netflix has an app in Windows 8.1 which works pretty well (and gives you DD+ audio, unlike the browser I believe)

Is it remote control friendly? I keep trying different stuff and I can't get it to work with a remote control.

I think for Windows you are, inevitably, better off going with a small wireless keyboard/trackpad combo than a standard remote, though there may be stuff you can do with some remotes that have Keyboard/Mouse HID interfaces but still look like regular remotes.
(2015-02-09, 10:39)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I suggest devices with HDMI CEC control. Usability goes like this. Chromecast + RPi. When the screen saver cuts in on the RPi, it goes to standby and tries to turn the TV off. If I'm watching Netflix the TV is unaffected.

I then finish watching Netflix, press the BT Remote connected to the RPi and the TV autoswitches inputs and we are back in Kodi. I start Netflix again and another autoswitch. Operating this way is even quicker than navigating a home page TV interface.

Even an Amazon Fire TV stick (HBO Go soon I believe) + a RPi2 would suit your needs. Just make sure the AFTV stick can autoswitch TV inputs.

Seems like an interesting solution.
Have you look into this thread? On sale for $150 right now.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=157563&page=38
(2015-02-09, 13:41)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]I have nearly the same requirements that OP has, and a cost effective (but still family friendly) solution was to use Fire TV stick + Raspberry Pi 2. My Pi 2 came in recently and does live TV from the HDHomerun like a champ.

The biggest issue (that could so easily be solved by Netflix if they got their act together) is that the Fire TV and Fire TV stick are the only Android-based products with a 100% remote control friendly Netflix client. Netflix on other devices is about 80% remote control friendly (great up until you try to select an individual TV show episode..).

In the near future I plan on setting up a transcoding server for the HDHomerun which will take care of deinterlacing, and then any TV can use just the Fire TV stick. Interlaced video can't die fast enough...

I basically do this, but with a Chromebox and a Chromecast.

In the current age a two device solution is as good as it gets. Hopefully Android tv will push the htpc capabilities of Android inside Google.
(2015-02-10, 04:19)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]In the current age a two device solution is as good as it gets.

I also have a 2 box solution.

AppleTV3 (I've had it for awhile) for Netflix, AirPlay and (if the rumors be true about HBO ditching the cable subscription requirement) HBO Go.
OpenElec/Kodi/MythTV for everything not DRM encumbered.

It took quite a while to reconcile myself to that necessity.
Openelec with play on running on a dedicated windows machine with a beefy processor for Netflix and paid apps. Caveat... play on does 720p max with stereo sound.. if you can live with that for netflix, hbo, amazon, Hulu etc, it's a good solution for you.

Play on is a resource hog though and not very efficient... you also can't forward or rewind very well with it.
(2015-02-10, 04:19)poofyhairguy Wrote: [ -> ]I basically do this, but with a Chromebox and a Chromecast.

In the current age a two device solution is as good as it gets. Hopefully Android tv will push the htpc capabilities of Android inside Google.

Isn't that more of a 3 device solution since Chromecast doesn't have a UI and requires another device. Wink

I do use a 2 device solution, Chromebox and AFTV Stick. Pair that with a Harmony Smart Control Hub to control both via BT, as well as my TV, AVR & SAT and it's nearly a perfect setup.

I agree though, hopefully Android TV will get to the point that it becomes a "one stop" solution. Looking forward to seeing what the Razer Forge TV brings to the table when it launches.
I found a laptop with a broken screen on CL for about half of the price of a Raspberry Pi, with HDMI output. It has great specs. I think I will just install some form of linux on this, and run it as my XBMC box, and then use the Fire TV Stick for Netflix and HBO Go (when it's available)
Pages: 1 2