Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AFTV to run Kodi- your opinion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm thinking of picking up an AFTV to run Kodi on, based on mostly positive reviews I've read about it. But a friend of mine advised against it because he said its more locked down, plus something about it not being rootable (which I don't know anything about) which he said doesn't make Kodi run good. The other thing too is I'm in Canada so would it work up here? (I'd be buying it from the US) What are everyone's thoughts? Is it worthwhile to run Kodi or should I be looking at something else?
I will outline the things it will not do:

- Does not deinterlace Live over the Air TV with Hardware acceleration enabled.

- You cannot connect USB drives and access media off them unless you get a box capable of being rooted (jailbroken). New Amazon Fire TV's cannot be rooted. However you can stream media over a home network (WIFI or Ethernet)

- It will not refresh rate switch the TV's display rate to match Kodi video output perfectly. 24p perfect synicing is a no go. This is only a minor issue.

- It cannot passthrough HD Audio to an Amp.

If none of these concern you then its a good integrated media box especially if you need Apps like Netflix etc and Kodi all on the one device. Popular too with the included remote.

If you don't need Netflix and other Apps etc, look at the new RPI2 or a one of the many varieties of Chromeboxes.

More info in FAQ:
!!
!!
V
Where do you purchase a RPI2?