Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media Player with DTS transcoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

i searched for about an hour in the board but I did not find an answer, thus I post my question Smile
I am looking for a media player, which is running kodi and can play MKVs rips from my NAS (synology).
The player has to be able to transcode DTS audio to ordinary 2-channel audio, because my TV can not handle DTS.
I googled for AFTV and raspberry pi, but as I understood, both are not able to transcode DTS.

Thanks for your support!
I thiiiiink you may have confused 'Transcode' for 'BitStream'... o.o Because all flavors of Kodi can indeed decode any compressed audio into uncompressed 2.0 LPCM.
What do you mean by transcode DTS to 2-channel audio?

If you mean decode and downmix to stereo PCM then any Kodi platform will do this (including Pi).

If you mean decode DTS and reencode to AC3 for multichannel passthrough to a device that only supports AC3,
then any(*) Kodi device can do this, but it's not been recommended for the Pi1 due to cpu usage required. No such problems on Pi2.

(*) well almost any - some Android platforms don't have working passthrough, but I think FireTV is okay for this.