Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Adding File Manager To Main Menu [SOLVED]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello Everyone,

I am currently using....
Windows 7 64Bit SP1
Gotham 13.2
Ace Skin 6.0.2

Not sure if I overlooked this somewhere, but does anyone know of an easy way to add the "File Manager" as an item in the Main Menu? I tried messing around with using the code that was used to get it to show up in the "Settings" submenu but I was unsuccessful because I don't know much about XML coding.

If anyone has any information they would like to share please do so.
Thank you to everyone who reads this post.
If you use the add-on superfavorites you can add almost anything to the "Favorite" custom menu item, which includes file manager.
Thank you for your response I didn't realize that anyone replied.
Although I have not tried this out, I read about it a while back.
I ended up going the route of editing the xml files which worked great because I could also decide where the "file manager" would end up on my main menu list.

Thanks Again
Could you share your method also? Which xml file did you edit? To reorder main menu items in ace you can modify includesVIPmenu.xml but I don't know how to ADD a main menu item using that.
Hi guys the file manager is already there
If you go to settings and press down for the sub menu you have to keep pressing right as there's extra menus off screen
Sorry I didn't realize anyone else responded to this post

ExtremeAudio
No problem, there may be better ways, but this is what I did to add the File Manager to my home menu as a main menu item.
Note that I am new at this so not everything may work correctly, for example submenu's, etc. but this could at least get you started.

You are correct, the IncludesVIPmenu.xml is the file to use.
Within this file you will see a whole bunch of <item id="#"> tags
Choose where you want the NEW item to appear on your list by placing the following code between the "item id" tags you desire to place this NEW item.

CODE TO USE:
Code:
<item id="90">
<label>FILE MANAGER</label>
<label2>Files</label2>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/filemanager.jpg</icon>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(filemanager)</onclick>
<visible>[SubString(skin.string(settingsfilemanager.submenu),on) | Skin.HasSetting(custommode)]</visible>
</item>

CODE EXPLAINED (AS BEST I CAN AT THE MOMENT):
Code:
<item id="90">
The id number here can be what ever you want it to be, as long as it is not already used

<label>FILE MANAGER</label>
This is what the main menu item will display, you can change it to anything you want.

<label2>Files</label2>
This is what the little description under the main label say, to the right of the little colored box graphic, you can change this to whatever you want.

<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/filemanager.jpg</icon>
This links the background image that displays when you have menu item selected.
I created an image named "filemanager.jpg" and placed it in the "backgrounds" folder within the ace skin folder

<onclick>ActivateWindow(filemanager)</onclick>
This links the file manager location to the menu item itself

<visible>[SubString(skin.string(settingsfilemanager.submenu),on) | Skin.HasSetting(custommode)]</visible>
This one will need to be edited if you want the file manager main menu item to have a submenu like all the other items.
This code is currently not correct.
I personally removed all my submenu's so this does not affect my setup, but may mess with yours.

</item>
This closes the "item" tag

As a rule of thumb, make a copy of your xml file (IncludesVIPmenu.xml) before you edit it just in case, this way you can always revert back if things don't work out correctly.

Anyways hope this helps