Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Upgrade from Gotham to Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
Just joined the Forum. Have couple of questions.I'm running Gotham and would like to upgrade to Kodi.
Xbmc is running on Ubuntu 14.04. which seems to work fine. The problem is I can not access the desktop on Ubuntu.
I should add that I bought a PC running Ubuntu & Xbmc from a friend who installed everything, as i know nothing of Linix/Ubuntu
Using a Mac Mini most of the time Smile I have tried various commands to access the desktop on Ubuntu but none seem to work. I have managed occasionally to boot in to the Grub command line, tried inputing some commands in their thinking that would take me to the desktop but no luck.
I have Putty installed on the Mac using Windows through parallels. Would I be able to access the ubuntu desktop remotely through Putty.
I have the user name & password to log in to xbmc but not sure if it's the same login for ubuntu.
Any help would be most appreciated
Regards
Ian
It sounds like you have Kodibuntu installed. If so, this wiki entry says how to get access.
Hi Jogee
Thanks for the reply
Had look at the Wiki tried a couple of thing on their but no luck.
If i exit from the menu on Xbmc,it goes to a black screen,In the top left hand corner in small text it asks for user login this only appears for about 2 seconds
have tried inputting details but the screen then changes to the Xbmc splash screen then on to Xbmc itself.
Is their a way of accessing the Desktop through Putty ? I'm trying to update to Kodi but I think I need to do this through the Desktop screen ?
Thanks
Ian
Think I might have found the source of my Problem..
Spoke to the Guy who installed the OS and XBMC. He tells me the Ubuntu installation has been customised so if i install the desktop xbmc will stop working
Also the XBMC install was changed to allow it to correctly decode HD input. Haven't clue what all this means being complete newbie to xbmc and ubuntu
But I suppose if it isn't broke I should leave it as it is
Thanks
Ian