Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: WORKGROUP SMB Network setup - help needed pls
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay i hope someone can help, i've googled for a whole evening and found nothing to solve my problem..

I had my xbmc running sweet for ages, i could stream music and video etc through my network cable and the "WORKGROUP (SMB) Network" option when u click into videos or music, and everything was cool. But since formatting my pc and reinstalling windiz, when i try to connect through the same way I get asked for a username and password. I have no username or password setup for use on the admin account in xp. The Guest account is enabled now (someone else thought this was the prob, but nope).

When i click on "WORKGROUP (SMB) Network" i see "MSHOME", click again then "RICHY" (thats me) and when i click that i get prompted for the user and pass. It never used to ask me for this, why has it started now?

My network cable goes directly from my xbox to my pc, i don't use a router i have an adsl modem. My LAN network is setup for file and printer sharing too. Windows firewall is turned off on all connections. My internet connection is shared as well for access through the xbox.

Can someone shed some light please, I would be grateful for even a few suggestions.

PS. I just installed a new build of xbmc and the same this is happening even after booting up with thumbsticks held and clearing those folders.. Sad
Two things to check:

1) Set the XBMC network settings to match the WinXP machine workgroup name tab - I suggest restarting XBMC.

2) You may need add a user account/password for XBMC on your WinXP machine and then add that to your XBMC settings (and possibly SOURCES.XML)

KZ
I've tried both but I'm still being asked for username and password. I find it hard to believe there isn't even a sticky for this problem as I've found lots of other people with the same problem... :/

Can anyone else help?
You have a permission problem.

I assume your using XP Pro, so do the following.

1. Ensure you PC and XBOX are on the same subnet (eg. pc 192.168.1.1 & xbox 192.168.1.2)

2. In XP Disable simple file sharing (Explorer ==> Tools ==> Folder Options ==> View - Scroll to bottom of list an uncheck 'Use Simple File Sharing(Recommended)'

3. Enable the Guest Account ( Start ==> Run ==> 'CMD' ==> 'net user guest /active:yes ')

4. Select the folder you want to share (Right Click ==> Properties ==> Sharing - Select 'Share this Folder'

5. Under the Security Tab check and see if 'Guest' is listed under Group or user names, If not then click 'Add' and enter 'Guest'.

6. If your using a firewall, make sure you make exceptions for file and printer sharing.

This should get it working
Thanks for the post zippy but unfortunately this has't fixed my problem. Everything is as it should be up until number 5. The "add" and "remove buttons are greyed out in the security tab, i can't add or edit anything in there. I'm still being asked for user and pass in xbmc.

On a side note, after trying what kzr1y2 said in his 2nd point, I now have three users on my system...

1.Administrator
2.xbox and
3.Guest

however I can't log back on to my admisitrator account, even though the xbox account has all administrator priveleges but i want to revert back to my original administrator's account. But when loading up windows I only get the choice to log on as xbox or guest!! And its not in User Accounts in control panel! wtf? What happened to my original Administrator's account?? Please help!
the administrator account is normally not shown as you are not supposed to run under it. you will never be able to get it to show. when you get to the login screen press ctrl+alt+delete a few times to get to standard login prompt.

i suggest you create yourself a non admin account (power user) and normally run under that.
Hi intrinsic,

Please try the following steps; should help us determine were the problem may be.

* Assumptions *

- Windows XP Pro SP2
- Firewall is temporarily disabled
- Advance File Sharing enabled (i.e. not basic sharing)
- Using latest CVS of XBMC in a clean new folder (not overlayed on top of an old build)
- No additional customizations have been done to .XML files

STEP 1: (PC)
~~~~~
1. Create a new user -> XBMC
2. Add new user to Administrators & Power Users group; Power Users should be sufficient but just in case
3. Enable Guest account; although it shouldn't be required

*notes*
- take note of your PC IP Address, Subnet, Gateway information
- take note of the workgroup name -> MSHOME

STEP 2: (PC)
~~~~~
1. Create a new folder at the root of 'C' drive on your PC -> TESTSHARE
2. Right-click the TESTSHARE, choose Properties
3. If you have a Sharing tab, select it and share the folder as TESTSHARE
4. Click the Permissions button and ensure that users 'Everyone', 'XBMC' have Full Control

STEP 3: (XBMC)
~~~~~
1. Ensure that XBMC Network Settings is set to the same workgroup -> MSHOME
2. Ensure that XBMC IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway are in the same range as your PC
3. Select 'My Music' -> Files View
4. Select WORKGROUP SMB Network; not the SMB Share
5. See if you can navigate to the folder in question

Let us know the results,

KZ
just a guess but are you sure you have set up shared folders for xbmc to look in to ?
All of your assumption were correct kzr1y2.

Its been a while now but I have tried your way too kzr1y2 and i'm getting asked for username and password.

I have now deleted all user accounts on xp apart from the administrators account. I am completely baffled as to how this can be so complicated to setup. I just installed a new build of xbmc 2.0 and it runs sweet, apart from Network Share. So the problem is that I can change the username and password that I keep ketting asked for, even though I don't even use a password to run xp.

They don't even mention anything about usernames and passwords in the wiki, why can this problem not be solved when so many forum posts are about this error message??
Even when changing my xp password to something like "password" and trying the user and pass as "Administrator" and "password" it STILL won't accept it!!
My windows firewall is off but its configured controlled by group policy.

This was not the case on a previous install of xp. Is there a way to revert back to 'normal policy'?
anyone?
Please always wait at least 24-hours before bumping! ...during that time read the XBMC online-manual
bump
Hey Instrisic,

Sorry ... been away on assignment.

Just curious, what happens when you perform the following steps:

1) Select My Music
2) Switch to Files View
3) Select WORKGROUP (SMB) Share

For me, I see ALL of the workstations, servers, NAS'es that are part of MYDOMAIN ... assuming of course that the XBMC network setting has been set to MYDOMAIN as well.

I am able to nagivate to the shared folders without diffculty.

Regards,

KZ
Pages: 1 2